26. A past itch

MILES

"Where is she?" I asked as I strolled in the halls.

I had had enough of her tantrums. Her calls had come to me every other hour wanting to meet and greet. What was left to say anyway? Hadn't she done enough damage to me when she left me for good.

There was no note, no nothing to warn me of her ideas. She had left me when I needed her the most, robbing me the money I had hard earned. I was left alone with nothing and no one to turn to.

Kevin had gone back to his buildings while Dad had put me for silent treatment for a few months after the Shelly fiasco. Even now, Dad doubted at my every move. And who the hell was responsible for all that?

Shelly had made a move with Dill, my best friend and God knew who else she had approached. Jesus, I felt like an idiot to blindly follow her thinking she loved me all along.

Now after all this, she wanted to talk to me? I was sure it was only because she wanted some help or money to satisfy her. The love I had for her was burnt out, leaving only the ashes of regret and anger behind.

I was fuming.

"She's in the seventh floor." Steve said, walking behind me, taking longer strides to keep up with me. "I have kept this whole situation on the low, Sir. The press don't know about this."

I nodded my head, grateful for the guy.

Steve was one of the few people I had put my trust in. He was reliable, resilient and a bright assistant. Even with the heavy schedules and my constant mood swings, he remained calm and collected, answering to all my demands. I had already incremented his salary twice to keep him from not quitting the job.

As we reached the door of the room where the devil stayed, I heaved a sigh. "Sir, should I get a few drinks?"

"No, Steve." I patted his shoulder. "I will handle from here. Just make sure that everything inside there gets recorded."

"That's done, sir." Steve nodded his head, as he shifted his glasses on his nose. "Anything else?"

"That's all for now." I gave him a grateful smile. "Thanks, man."

He nodded his head again before standing guard at the door. I took a deep breath before I knocked on the door twice. The door opened and a slender but tall girl smiled at me. It was a feeling of deja vu.

"Miles, come in." She said, her voice sickeningly sweet. "I was waiting just for you."

As soon as I took a step in, she engulfed me into a hug, pushing her breasts into me. I resisted the urge to push her to the wooded showcase as I pressed my lips to a thin line.

"Shelly Morgan." I said as we parted, my voice repulsive with every syllable. "Never thought I would be seeing you again."

"Me too, Miles." She said, looking at me just like the way she used to. Back then, I thought this was her look of love for me, but now I saw desperation clean and clear. "Me too."

"Let's get to business, shall we?" I said, putting some distance between us. I gestured to the giant plush sofas, silently asking her to sit down.

She sauntered her way next to me, smiling and nodding her head to everything I was telling her. When she tried to sit next to me, I shook my head no.

Her smile fell down by a notch, but she still kept her face void of the hurt. "I understand." She took her seat opposite to me. "How are you, Miles?"

"I'm doing great, Shelly." I said, looking directly at her. "You live in the tabloid world, didn't you see it for yourself? I don't think you needed to make your way here to just ask that."