34. Impressing Smith

MILES

I had noticed that Megan wasn't the same. She worried a lot and at times, I found her staring at the void with no forethought about the things that surrounded her.

When I talked with her, she seemed as normal as I could ever tell. She laughed, cracked jokes and even listened to every word that I said without losing her attention.

Initially I had blamed it all on Shelly for ruining my girlfriend's temper based on past facts and figures. Now, if I think of it, I was the one that was supposed to be blamed for it all. I could understand how concerned Megan was after all that drama.

If there was Megan's ex, talking things to me about Megan, I knew I would have flipped and lost my shit. Apparently, there was an ex who had moved on, much to my jumping nerves.

That was when I had left a sigh of relief. What Megan had told me about her last boyfriend was all true. She wasn't cheating on me like Shelly.

But there were other guys who had been pinning for her attention. I had noticed that most of her customers flirted with her, settling for a quick formal dinner date to discuss their decorations. And it always made me want her to chain to myself before I could let her roam free. What if she fell for a charming asshole during one of their meetings and left me for him?

I had flamed right there when one of the bastards had the nerve to ask her out when I stood next to her. I had glared at him and subtly warned him to dare come near my girl. He had backed away instantly.

"I think I should get you a sticker for your forehead which says you are taken." I said when I drove back to her apartment that night.

She had only laughed it off - as if it wasn't that big of a deal. As if she had such invitations every other day and it was common for her to go out with those strange men.

"Seems like you are not bothered by it." I said, carefully.

"Because, I'm not." She had said, waving her hand in the air. "That is a part of my profession, Miles. I would have to know what they want and I'll have to do a site visit and then get back to them with my results."

"Why can't Amber do that?" I immediately fired back at her.

"Amber is only in charge of the flowers and it's where and how." She said. "Maybe she could do a site visit, but she would want me to say what designs would suite better in that place."

I rolled my eyes. Amber was a girl who wanted to spend her life enjoying while she let her so called best friend to do all the work. "She gets flowers? I mean, who couldn't, especially after one has the connections?"

"What do you mean by that?" Megan had fired back, turning her head towards me as she tucked her left leg under her thighs making herself comfortable. I had never seen her angry before and now she looked like a cute ripened tomato ready to spray. "Getting flowers is not that easy. Do you even know how many kinds of flowers are there? The one kind which matches the occasion? The way they should be treated before they get out in this weather?"

Shit, I guess I had put it out in the open without thinking much about it. She was ready with her big guns and I knew I had to take a step back.

"I didn't mean it like that." I had said, my voice low.

"She maintains the accounts!" Megan continued, ignoring my words. "How else do you think we were able to get on top with only two of us working. I'm only the one who designs and delivers while she's the master mind, holding the anchor of our ship."

"I'm sorry." I muttered, not wanting to get her all riled up. "What I mean is that you are meeting all your clients. Why can't she do that?"

"What is that supposed to mean?" That was the second time she had asked me that. That meant, she had been well prepared and it was a chance for me to change my questions.