54. Put a ring on it

MILES

My body ached from lying on the ground the whole night. But I knew it was worth it. I turned to my left to see Megan snuggling close to me and I couldn't help the smile that took over my features.

What happened yesterday was something so hot that even though Smith was only a stairway above us, I couldn't cling on to my moral compass. Megan was looking so beautiful in her night dress that I couldn't hold back.

Megan was breathing deeply, and I knew she was still in her deep sleep. Not able to resist, I pressed a kiss on her forehead, as she nestled closer to me. I heard someone clear their throat and I knew I was in trouble. I thanked all the Lords for making us wear clothes before we fell asleep last night. At least we were covered decently though it looked like we were into greater mischief.

Taking a deep breath, I carefully, removed myself from her hold, making sure that I didn't wake her up. As I stood face to face with the guy who hoisted tall behind Megan like a Godfather, I dreaded what he had to say about breaking his rule.

"Morning Smith." I said, a little too cheerfully than I had intended to. "Did you sleep well?"

Smith only shook his head and went inside the kitchen rolling his eyes. It was as if he was telling that he couldn't have expected less than this from us. There was no anger yet and I was happy with that.

"Do I have to Lysol the couch?" Smith asked as I followed him to the kitchen to get myself some water.

"Nothing happened." I lied. Would he kill me if he knew what we were up to? Or should I be honest and let myself hang by the thread? Smith looked at me as I knew he had caught my lie. I sighed. "It was my fault. I'm sorry."

Smith looked at the roof before he pulled out a chair for me to sit on while he sat in one right in front of me. I didn't know if it was a good thing, sitting with the father of the girl that I loved with nothing but shorts early in the morning. Since there was no gun being pointed to my head, I assumed it was alright.

"You know that's my little girl, right?" Smith asked, looking at Megan who had now turned towards the couch. I only nodded my head at her. "Are you going to keep her happy, Miles?"

My face softened at his words. I had met her family who were trying to make her life a living hell while this guy who only knew her since a few years, cared for her happiness as if she were his own little girl.

"Very much." I agreed. "I'll try my best, Smith. I... um... I ... I love her."

It was so easy to admit the truth with everyone when I had still not confessed my feelings to her. I wanted to marry her and make her mine. With Smith in front of me, I knew exactly what to say to him.

"Um... Smith, I wanted to ask you something." I said, running my hands over my hair. It was something I had never thought I would have to do. I had proposed the idea to my friends, but I hadn't thought about it much. Now, I saw everything falling in place and it was only a matter of time.

Smith looked at me intently, watching my squirm under him. For a small stout man, he sure looked scary.

"I wanted to ask your daughter's hand for marriage." I said, not looking at him, scared that he might turn me down. "I promise to take care of her to the best of my ability. I'll protect her when she's scared. I'll make her laugh and I'll hold her when she cries. I'll do everything in my power to keep her happy, Smith. Please..."

When there was no sound from the guy who sat in front of me even after I blabbered out, I slowly lifted my head up. His eyes were filled with tears as his face turned pink. When his eyes met mine, he only nodded his head.