46. What's going on?

MILES

What was wrong with people? Everyone had gone blind while I could see it as clear as a day. I understood that it was a risk because the doctor was making everyone hurry up to perform his operation. But we also had to know what was right and what wasn't.

And I knew the doctor wasn't completely right.

The way his bloody mouth twitched when he asked to sign. The smile that he threw on us seemed fishy. At least for me. I knew he was keeping something from us.

With Megan gone to donate the blood and Mark to sign the papers, I was the only one sitting in that damned cabin looking at the chart the doctor had just pointed at. I knew all about caesarean deliveries, because Samantha, my brother's wife had gotten one when she gave birth to Sophie. In fact, Samantha had specifically asked for caesarean since she was scared of the normal delivery.

For all I knew, it didn't need a fucking consent from the family member.

Laura was bleeding for God's sake while this idiot of a doctor was here to ask permission to do what he needed to do? That only meant one thing.

Laura was in more danger than he was letting on.

Even with knowing all these, what was I to do? Could I change her to a new doctor? At this point no. It would be stupid if not anything else.

And that foolish Mark was still under the impression that his wife was in good hands. He was acting like a man with no brains! Idiot! He had crowded the hall with all the elders who were sobbing like there was some death. Anger bubbled in me.

I had to take things in my own hands.

As I walked out the cabin, I saw six people paired up in two, holding a cup of coffee which was barely touched. They were already old and with this burden on them, it made them looked weaker than usual. When they saw me coming out of the cabin, they gathered around me.

"They say it's going to be a long night." I said, not looking at them.

Though an idea of sending the elderly to home came sweeping through my mind, I kept it on hold. It was because we didn't know what the future held for us, for Laura in store. With trembling fingers, I sat on the hospital seats, trying to think of positive things.

Megan was the first one to enter my mind at that. I had remembered she had told me that it was going to be a hectic day for her. Yet, she was here along with Amber and her boyfriend, supporting her best friend.

Shit, I had forgotten that she had volunteered to donate blood for her. Was she okay? Was she pushing herself too much? I shut my eyes close hoping that this terrible night to be over as soon as possible.

I felt someone sit next to me, but I didn't dare to open my eyes to acknowledge them. "Thank you." It was Mark and I knew he was meaning it.

I slowly opened my eyes to look at him. He looked defeated and lost. He loved Laura like his own soul. They were like the opposite poles attracting each other. Without his ship, what was a sailor going to do? His eyes were blood red and even though he never cried in front of anyone, he was having hard time controlling his emotions now.

I patted on his shoulder supportively. "All formalities done?"

"Yeah," His shoulders slouched down as his voice broke. "There is a high chance... that both the mother and the baby won't survive this time. That was why they needed my signature on those forms."

"What?" I stood up, but Mark's reaction stunned me the most. It was as if he had accepted the facts and had made peace with it.

"They are doing the caesarean now and it will take another one or two hours to get back to us." Mark said, answering all my internal questions. "If they could only get one alive, I told them to give me back my Laura."