Jungjie

"Ying Yue..." Banye crooned, "you're mad at me again."

Ying Yue stepped back and widened the distance between them. "How can you do that? How long have I been asleep?"

Banye made a slight pout of his lips and hesitated. He debated whether to tell her the truth or not. Lying would get him in more trouble but truth would only stir Ying Yue more upset. He let out a sharp exhale as he decides to tell the truth. "Three days?"

"Are you guessing or are you telling?" She frowned.

"Ying Yue, I'm telling."

"Why did you do that?"

"I was just trying to protect you." His hands found her waist instead and reeled her closer to him. He sat on the steps, long leg stretched and the other one folded. He guided her to his folded leg.

Ying Yue sat on his lap. Her gaze met with his with a slight incline of her chin. Even sitting on his lap, she still needed to look up. Banye is a demon, far bigger and taller than any mortal she knew.

He pressed his forehead against her. Eyes never left its apologetic twinkle. Ying Yue never knew Banye could grovel for apology the way any human would and he'd been good at making her feel guilty too. "From what?"

Banye pulled away. "You know how I was telling you, we're into bigger threat this time?"

Ying Yue nodded.

"This is not like what we went through with Jungjae..." He paused and dug through his thoughts. "This is not just some mortal hunting me and my people. This is something more." His gaze found hers again. "This is a powerful creature built as a weapon by the gods."

"Then let me help you, I've gotten so much stronger the last couple years, you made sure of that."

"I know you have," Banye crooned..." but I'd rather not put you in harm's way. You don't know what we're up against. This monster exist just to kill me."

"Ying Yue's eyes narrowed. "But you've been trying to recruit Jian and you've been so petty as trying to do it through He Lian."

Banye breathed, staring at her empty clueless eyes. "One day you'll understand."

Ying Yue shook her head softly and rose.

"Where are you going, Ying Yue?"

"To check on my sister."

 ----
-----

A thousand miles in the new Central Kingdon of Yi, the new emperor Yi Jungjie stood in his courtyard with weapons gripped on both hands. His bare chest half covered with scars, some are old from battles and some are new from the recent war.

With short observation, Jungjie had already calculated his opponent's strength and skills. And in a short time, he also decided how he's going to end the fight. 

Yuanji stepped into the courtyard to the sound of clashing metals and grunting men. The yard is alive with sweaty men practicing their arms and combat. In the middle of it is undoubtedly the strongest one. His gaze was drawn to his brother immediately, noticing the change in him. Jungjie radiated with pride, self-assurance and confidence. Perhaps, becoming an emperor will do that to anyone.

Yuanji traveled from the southern palace of Wang the night before to update his brother with news and alliance. There's not much inform Jungjie. The only news he has is about He Lian, and he decided it's the kind of news best kept secret from his brother, aware of the reaction it might bring out from the other man.

Jungjie wiped the bead of sweats slipping from his body as he scurried back to the corridors. He was informed of his brother's arrival late in the evening, but his stupor got the best of him, falling back asleep. I'll see him tomorrow.

"Brother!" Jungjie greeted with enthusiasm. The last time he saw Yuanji was the day of the bloody massacre, when he took over as the emperor of the central kingdom.

He smiled and spread his arms wide pausing halfway in the courtyard. "Aren't you proud of me?"

Yuanji couldn't even been prouder. He can very well remember how much he suffered in the hands of the previous imperial family.

"Of course I am." Yuanji answered without a moment of hesitation.

Jungjie stepped into the corridor. "It's good to see you, brother. The last time I saw you was that day." He paused watching for reaction from his older brother but Yuanji remained unfaced, not allowing a trace of emotion leak from his face. "You didn't even come to the coronation. Mother, father and Lin Lian are all here but you and He Lian didn't make it."

"My apologies, Jungjie. The manner at the Wang's palace is with utmost importance. He Lian and I couldn't go." Yuanji uttered with a tight lip.

Jungjie swallowed and turned his head away. He sensed the deceit from Yuanji but knowing his brother, lies and deceit is like air to him. Whatever Yuanji is hiding, he trusts his brother enough to know it's for everyone's best interest.

"We have much to talk about."