A Dark Tale

Jungjie's cold and barren eyes slid into Yuanji's as he surveyed his brother across the table from him, searching for traits of deceit. He knew damn well Yuanji is hiding a secret and he made it a mission to find out about it. 

Jungjie waved the servant pouring his hot tea away. "That's enough," and guided the elegant china to his lips taking a long relish sip.

"Have you heard about a tale, brother?" He spoke.

Yuanji raised his brows, eyes lifting to Jungjie, he's heard of many tales before uncertain which one Jungjie is talking about.

A faint curl drew on the edge of the new emperor's lips. "The tale of the Beast."

Yuanji allowed his mouth to drop. "Ah yes, you're talking about the southern Palace of Wang."

Jungjie eased his back on the chair, releasing the tension straining all his muscles, he let himself relax for the first time and something in his body language Yuanji found so cunning and so intense that he never knew that one day a conversation with his brother could be so dangerous.

"I wouldn't tangle with the gods if I were you." Said Yuanji carefully, devious eyes boring on Jungjie, he can see right through the younger man, his thirst for power and ambition. "That'll be the death of you."

"And yet, you dare send two of my sisters to him for matrimony."

Yuanji breathe feeling the heavy weight of the conversation push down on him. "It's for the benefit of our clan."

"Ah, the same house of Yi mantra I've heard so many times." He twisted a smile. 

Jungjie pushed all the china off the table, sending plates, chalice and chopsticks crushing down on the opulent floor. The servants tending to them skittered to get them clean but Jungjie waved them off with a single twist of his hand.

His once handsome set of elegant eyes narrowed. Jungjie picked up his blade and placed it on the table. The gleam beneath his eyes leaked of his thirst for blood. "I have a proposition brother."

Yuanji tensed at the proposal, dreading the words waiting to slip out of Jungjie's mouth. 

"I know about the Beast. I knew from the beginning our clan has been whoring for power that's why they sent Ying Yue to be married off to the Wang's." He paused just to let Yuanji bathe at the spite in his voice. "That's why they sold me and Lin Lian off to the cruelest of generals, and you sending He Lian down like a package wrapped up in a ribbon. You couldn't wait to mix with the Wang's bloodline."

"Tangling with the southern palace and Banye will be the death of you, brother. I suggest you pick your war."

"Oh, I am! But in time I could use the Beast, I want you to be there to make it happen."

Yuanji exhaled. This trip was more than he bargained for. "He has his own troubles, little brother. He will not let himself be used so easily."