X. | OGUN: THE MAN AT THE CROSSROADS

Spirit!Ogun Montgomery X black!reader
WORD COUNT: 1.5K
We're gonna pretend the man at the crossroads is Ògún and not Èṣù okeee🤞🏽❤️

5KWe're gonna pretend the man at the crossroads is Ògún and not Èṣù okeee🤞🏽❤️

__________________________

"If you want to learn how to make songs yourself, you take your guitar and your go to where the road crosses that way, where a crossroads is. Get there be sure to get there just a little ' fore 12 that night so you know you'll be there. You have your guitar and be playing a piece there by yourself...A big black man will walk up there and take your guitar and he'll tune it. And then he'll play a piece and hand it back to you. That's the way I learned to play anything I want."

— Tommy Johnson

"11:57."

The previous 10 minutes of (Y/N)'s time was spent tuning a rickety guitar she was gifted when only a little seedling, and it was only until a week ago did she dust off the dingy wood to take a shot at the instrument. Music wasn't exactly what she planned to get herself into when she reached the age of 21, but it seemed like an inspiring option since the rest of her family was knees-deep in that tradition.

In high school, (Y/N) tried to play an instrument. Keyword on tried.

Straight out the womb she came and surprised the rest of her family with her inability to play a single instrument. They all thought their genes were A1 when it came to producing prodigies in the music industry, but when (Y/N) came and proved them wrong, it was like an epiphany for them. Of course they encouraged her to do what her heart felt like doing, she knew deep down inside she wanted to play music.

That rickety guitar was a symbol—a sign of something (Y/N) couldn't attain.

Well, couldn't attain without a bit of help.

Three pennies, chewing tobacco, and railroad spikes sat in the crevices of her pocket, practically vibrating with excitement at the phenomenon she was about to experience in just three minutes. She made it a priority that she arrived a couple of minutes before midnight so she wouldn't miss her chance—plus, the first impression that showing up late would make was downright embarrassing.

'Meet him where the roads cross over—where the opportunities are endless.'

Stars twinkled above (Y/N)'s head as if they were alive and kicking it, making for a beautiful sight to withhold in the area. Even though bugs, mosquitoes, and anything of the like continued to bite at her melanated skin like she was a plate of juicy fried chicken, flavorful mashed potatoes, fulfilling collard greens, and cheesy macaroni 'n' cheese conjured by the best cook in her family, she did enjoy the view of midnight in the countryside.