Best Friend's Wedding

MITCHELL

As I was sitting on the rustic wooden bench, next to Nash's father, and watched my best friend marry the love of his life I couldn't help but feel proud over how far they'd come. All the obstacles they'd gone through together, and how they'd grown as a couple, but there was also a slight bout of jealousy. It wasn't that Nash didn't deserve everything he had, he absolutely did. He was the best friend a guy could have and I owed him a lot. More than anyone else. I only had happy wishes for him and Kennedy. The jealousy came in the fact that I was starting to wonder if it would ever be my turn? They had found that one love that everyone wished for. Would I ever get to experience that?

It was the perfect fall day for an outside wedding ceremony in upstate New York. Warm enough temperatures that all the guests were comfortable. The sky was blue with only a few wispy clouds, but the view, it was just spectacular.

Nash and Kennedy stood next to each other under an arch made from twigs, and branches with colorful fall leaves. Woodland was behind them on one side, and a deep valley to the other. Evergreen mixed with colorful trees that swayed softly in the slight breeze.

Isaac and Sammy were the only bridal party Nash and Kennedy had chosen to have. I wasn't upset about that at all, but Nash had been worried that I would be. He had planned to have his brother, me, Kennedy's brother Jackson, and Bryce as his groomsmen, but when Kennedy only wanted Sammy in hers, they decided to keep it small. Which in truth was a good idea.

There were less than sixty people invited to the intimate ceremony and because of the location, an old farmhouse turned bed and breakfast in the middle of nowhere, there wasn't room for any more guests, and there was no other close lodging around. Another plus to the small wedding was that the media hadn't found out.

Nash finished his vows and I could tell that his mom, who was sitting on the other side of his dad, was dabbing at her eyes with a handkerchief. It was quiet except for the occasional sniffle and then it was Kennedy's turn to repeat after the minister. She only got one sentence into it before her voice caught and the tears started to trail down her cheeks. She attempted to clear her voice, all while the tears just kept coming. There were some soft "awes" mumbled from behind me. Some other guests clearly felt the importance of the intimate moment just like I did.

It was when Nash bent down and ran his thumb slowly under her eyes, wiping away at her tears, and the thankful look she gave him, that I had to fight to hold back my own tears. It was so obvious to anyone in their presence that they were head over heels in love, and that they were perfect together. Both of them were wonderful people on their own, but together they were amazing.

Isaac's wife Melinda sat on the other side of me. I heard her inhale deeply and knew without looking at her that she was crying. I'd been prepared for that and removed a tissue from my pant pocket and handed it to her.

"Thank you, Mitchell," she whispered and began dabbing underneath her deep brown eyes.

Kennedy got through the vows and I managed to keep my shit together. When they were pronounced husband and wife I got to my feet and cheered with the rest of the guests.

I was so happy for them and so proud to be a part of a friendship that had discovered a love that big. I tried to push the jealousy to the back of my mind because it made me feel guilty. This was Nash and Kennedy's day and I didn't want to do, or think anything that could potentially ruin it for them. It was just that this was the second wedding I attended as a single man in two months. Nothing made you feel more single and alone than attending a wedding solo, especially an intimate one like this. It was just a few close friends and family. And, this time there was no way of escaping to hit up some club downtown, like Jackson and I had done after Isaac's wedding.