BFF Time

SAMMY

"No mom, I really can't. Maybe next weekend... I have a wedding cake order for Saturday."

She sighed but instead of asking me - again - if I was sure I couldn't come home to help her, or any versions thereof, like she'd asked me almost every day over the last couple of weeks, or since I was home last, she changed the subject. I rolled my eyes, knowing it was just a matter of time until she'd get back to it again. We had done this song and dance ever since I was a kid, whenever she needed something that was.

I went back into the kitchen and turned o the faucet while she told me all about the neighbors annoying dog. I let the water cool and reached for a glass.

"Sammy," my mom continued, "how about we do something fun during the week instead? Maybe we can go out for dinner?"

This was her other guilt trip and it bothered me almost as much as her first one, that she needed my help and I wasn't there for her. I closed my eyes as I filled the glass with cold water and took a long drink.

"Or," she continued, "I can come to you."

"Mom, you know I work all week. I can't go out to dinner. I have to be at the bakery by three in the morning."

She knew all this already, but in her usual fashion, she'd try to get me to take her out for dinner. Which meant a late night because dinner was usually followed by drinks at some bar.

Her most recent boyfriend had just broken up with her. And true to her normal tune, she came to me looking for comfort as she cried on my shoulder. She was my mother and I loved her, but she was an extremely selfish person. This sort of thing happened every time one of her relationships ended. There had been an endless parade of them ever since my father left when I was in second grade.

She'd ignore me for months, years even, but the second her boyfriend left, and she needed money, she'd call me. The phone calls always started with her saying how much she missed me, and how she wanted me to come home for a visit. Philly wasn't that far from New York City, but it was far enough that it wasn't a trip you took just for dinner during a weekday.

If I allowed her to come to me during the week she'd end up staying over and would most likely not leave until I forced her out. Again, I loved her, but I was no longer the easily manipulated teenager I'd once been. I knew that if I gave her an inch she'd take a foot.

"...it would be so much fun, we could go to that restaurant you like, or maybe catch a hockey game? I'd love to meet your friends."

And there was her next angel. My friends - especially my rich and famous friends.

"Mom, I can't this week, but I'll do my best to try to come visit next weekend, okay?"

"That would be great," she said but her tone was a little sour, "but maybe I can come to you first. Like this weekend and then you can come to me next weekend."

When my phone suddenly vibrated with an incoming phone call I sent a quiet thank you to whoever it was that was calling.

"Gotta go mom. It might be Ken."

"Of course, honey. Tell her I said hello."

"I will. Bye. Love you!"

I clicked over the phone to find that it was in fact Kennedy that was calling. And that made me a little nervous.

"Ken," I answered. "What's going on?"

"Hey... I wasn't sure if you were still awake or not but I didn't want to forget to ask you about the game tomorrow. Are we going to the Garden or are you coming here?"