Unwelcome

MITCHELL

Nash's phone rang with the ring tone he'd designated just for Kennedy as we waited for our luggage at JFK airport. His phone was laying on top of his carry-on bag, next to me. He was a few steps ahead of me at the luggage carousel, waiting for our bags to complete the slow spin around until it got to us.

"Can you answer that?" he asked me, over his shoulder.

"Sure." I picked his phone up and answered. "Hey girlfriend, what's happening?"

"Hey, Mitch," she greeted in a happy tone. "You guys landed already? I thought I would have to leave a message."

I chuckled because we were usually never on time, and often late. It was rare that we were early.

"Yeah, we left right on time for once and they made up some time in the air."

"Oh, that's good."

"Nash is getting our bags."

I watched as he grabbed my bag off the luggage carousel and put it next to him while he continued to wait for his own. I could've walked over to him and handed him the phone while I took his spot, but I enjoyed talking to Kennedy so I stayed where I was.

"I figured he was up to something."

"Yeah. How are you feeling?" I asked her.

"Pretty good. Today was a good day, I got a lot of work done."

She sounded happy and relaxed which was good because the high-risk pregnancy was tough on her, and Nash. He worried a lot, especially when we were on the road.

"Not too much I hope. You know he'll go all 'papa bear' on you if you overdo it."

She laughed. "Oh, don't I know it."

Nash had found his own bag and started to roll them both over towards where I was standing with the rest of our stuff.

"He's coming now. You take care of yourself and the little man. I still think you should consider Mitchell for the name."

She laughed again. "I know you do. You suggest it every time we talk."

I shrugged my shoulders, not that she could see it.

"How is shoulder by the way? That was some hit you took in the second period."

"Oh, Ken, baby, are you worried about me?" I teased.

"Mitch," Nash growled next to me and reached for the phone.

"Yeah, yeah, I know. She's your baby." I rolled my eyes at my best friend. "Bye, Kennedy," I yelled into the phone as Nash pulled it away from me.

"You know he'll beat you one of these days" Bryce chuckled from behind me. I turned my head and watched him grin with his entire face.

"He will not."

"Reed is more territorial of her than most guys are of their girls. You probably need to find your own 'baby.'"

I could have answered that I wasn't worried, that Nash knew me and Kennedy were just friends and that I saw her more like a sister than anything else, or that I was working on finding my own baby, which I was. Sammy and I'd had an awesome time at the bar and I was looking forward to cooking for her, but to tell Bryce that would've been to open up a can of worms. So instead I asked "just one?"

Bryce clapped his huge paw on my shoulder and squeezed with a grin on his face. "The more the merrier I say, but you may not be able to keep up with more than one. You are becoming like Reed, a tired, boring, homebody."