Homes

MITCHELL

It had been a couple of weeks since Sammy and I abruptly left Nash and Kennedy's place in a hurry. Something I hadn't lived down, by the way. Nash loved to tease me about it and even Kennedy had gotten in on the ribbing the first time she saw us.

"See," Nash had joked, or maybe hoped for it to be true, "he's worse than me."

"I'm not sure about that," Kennedy had responded while trying to hold a smile back, "but you might be a bad influence on him."

I had laughed, and Nash had scowled. Sammy had just rolled her eyes.

Things were good.

I hadn't proposed yet, although I picked up the ring from the jeweler. It was beautiful and just what I had imagined. They had exchanged the oval diamond for the round one I'd selected. A few small diamonds sat around the solitaire, and even smaller diamonds went down the sides of the band. It made the ring have a bit of a flower look I hoped she would love.

I was waiting for that special moment to come along, and maybe to figure out exactly what to say.

Sammy and I were lounging on the couch in my living room. It was in the middle of a Sunday afternoon and there was nothing we had to do. We'd just had lunch, and were relaxing inside to escape the heat. It was a true summer in the city kind of day. Sammy was looking through an interior design magazine, and I was reading a new mystery book Kennedy had recommended.

I was glad that Sammy was folding some of the corners over. She had given her notice to her landlord, so come middle of August she'd be moving into my place, and I was ready to make a home with her. Whatever changes she wanted to make was fine by me.

I had suggested we look for a new place together, which she hadn't seemed opposed to, but she'd been a bit hesitant when she realized the amount we needed to spend in order to get the space we wanted.

I'd found out from Kennedy that Sammy was worried about the money situation. The fact that she didn't really have any savings, and she rented an apartment, whereas I owned mine. For us to buy a place together, it would be my money we'd be spending, which I was completely okay with. Money meant little if you didn't have someone you loved to spend it with. And the whole reason I wanted to have a bigger place was so we could be there together and grow as a family.

I hoped she would worry less after I proposed.

I was also hoping that Maria would decide to come stay with us. I'd spoken to her a few times, and while she seemed fine, I wasn't sure which way she was leaning. She said Marshall was making changes, both with his hours at work, so he could be home more with Neil, and by getting the house into shape.

My phone rang. It was on the table next to Sammy, so she picked it up and handed it over to me. "It's Nash."

"Miss me already?" I asked as I answered.

Nash and Kennedy had left for Florida Friday afternoon. They were going to stay in his parents' house for a couple of weeks, while his parents were staying in Nash and Kennedy's place, waiting to close on their new apartment.

"Something like that... What are you up to?"

"Nothing." I stretched out my legs in front of me and put the book to the side. "Just chilling. What are you guys doing?"

"Hiding from the heat," Sammy said loudly next to me.

Nash chuckled. "It's hot here too."

"I believe it, but you got a pool down there."

"Yeah, Kennedy took Ethan in for a little while before."

"Did he like it?"

"Yeah, he did, but, man, it was a bit of a production. She had ordered this floating sun shade thing..." he chuckled. "I'll send you a picture."