Florida House

MITCHELL

Sammy loved my surprise at the house. She walked through the entire house twice and hummed as she touched the walls and peeked out the windows. While inspecting every nook and crevice, I could see her imagination working. She was buzzing like a little bee.

"There are so many options. I can't wait to get started. I'll have to look at the magazines again, and at Pinterest and I want to watch some more diy shows."

I chuckled at her excitement.

"There is so much we could do." She gestured with her hand towards the kitchen but continued in a full circle, which I assumed meant to the entire house. "This place will be beautiful by the time we're done with it."

"I believe you."

"We can put down new floors right because I don't like these pinkish tile floors at all."

"I agree. New floors."

"And kitchen cabinets, and maybe open up the staircase, oh, and paint."

"Paint, huh?"

"Yeah, paint," she continued, and then she must have realized what I was referring to because she stopped and glared at me. "No stripping if we have a painting party. Leave that to Bryce."

"But I'm so much better at it."

"Mitch," she groaned like I was a disobeying child and when I just laughed, she smacked me on the ass. "It's all mine." She reminded me by thrusting her left hand with the engagement ring in my face.

***

When I finally got her to relax with me on the blankets and pillows I'd set up, I poured us both a glass of champagne. She accepted it with the biggest smile on her face.

"For you, my darling."

"I can't believe I'm going to be Mrs. Evans."

Damn, I barely could either, but I really liked the sound of it.

"I can't wait," I told her truthfully.

Sammy took a sip of the champagne and nodded in approval. "It's good."

"Yeah. Are you hungry?" I asked and reached for the picnic I'd packed.

"Not yet."

"Okay." I settled for only unpacking the snacks and left the actual food for later.

"When do you want to get married?" Sammy asked.

I looked up at met her hazel eyes that looked more golden in candle light.

"The sooner the better."

She nodded and stayed quiet for a bit while she nibbled on her bottom lip.

"What?" I asked when she said nothing more.

"Where do you want to get married? And what kind of wedding do you want?"

"Sammy, I..." I couldn't really say I didn't care, because I did. I cared that she got what she wanted. Where it was, or how big of a wedding, that didn't matter to me. I just wanted her to be happy. My hesitation didn't seem to stop her.

"Could we get married here?" she asked with a swipe of her arm towards the backyard.

"Yeah." I began to smile. I loved that idea.

Sammy took a drink from the champagne glass and looked out at the dark backyard.

"Would you be okay with having just a small wedding? Like really small?"