Coach Laughlin

SAMMY

Like I said earlier, Mitch and Bryce were famous in their own rights. They were used to the spotlight and the attention that came with being a professional athlete, but they didn't have the popularity Nash did. He was the face of several large companies, and he'd been on the covers of many famous magazines. But we found out once we got to the hockey arena that in Mitchell's small hometown in Michigan, he was their homegrown pride and joy, and it showed.

There were a couple of photos of him - one from high school, and one from when the Empires won the UAHL - on the wall next to his high school jersey as soon as you entered the arena.

"Wow, Mitch. Did you know about this?" I asked as I took in his surprised expression.

"No. I had no idea."

"That's pretty cool," Nash agreed as he pushed Ethan in the stroller straight towards the pictures.

"Looked good back then," Bryce teased as we all took in Mitchell's high school photo. He stood like a Marine, eyes straight ahead and his lips in a tight line. His hair, though, was a totally different matter. It was both lighter and longer than I'd ever seen it, and there was nothing neat about it. It was like he'd just taken his helmet off, run his hand through his hair and called it a day. The long blond hair flopped out by his ears and curled out in the back around his neck.

"You had typical hockey hair," Kennedy commented with a giggle. "How cute."

"Yeah, I rocked that hair." Mitch agreed sarcastically. He turned to me with a grin. "Should I let it grow again?"

"Um, no. I like it just the way is right now."

Nash chuckled. "You must have gotten an economy cut or something before you came to college. Your hair was super short."

Mitch nodded. "I did. Buzz cut."

"Yeah, don't get any ideas about that either," I warned him.

"What?" Mitch faked being insulted. "I call you my girlfriend, and that's it? I can't decide how I want to have my hair anymore?"

I rolled my eyes, while Kennedy, and Nash chuckled.

"Just wait until you're married," Bryce said, and tilted his head to me. He lowered his voice and whisper shouted "You'll be totally whipped, like that one," pointing towards Nash.

"I heard that," Nash responded. But he seemed to be completely okay with being called whipped, as long as he got to be with Kennedy and Ethan. And he really wasn't whipped, he just loved his family. Bryce knew that, but was just teasing.

I leaned in towards Mitch and whispered into his ear. "I like to have something to grab on to."

His posture changed, and darkened eyes snapped my way. "I like that too," he whispered back, and bent down so he could press a soft kiss on my lips.

"Oh, come on now," Bryce groaned as he threw his hands up in the air. "Aren't we here for hockey? Enough of this cuddle shit."

Kennedy laughed as Bryce continued to mumble something about being stupid and alone with two couples.

"Lead the way there, homeboy," Kennedy said to Mitch and grabbed a hold of the stroller.

"Alright, follow me."

Mitch took us through the corridors until we got down to the ice. The entire time, he had my hand in his.

"Are you sure your coach is here?" I asked him.

"Yeah. He might as well sleep here, he's here so much."

"Think he'll recognize you?"

"I guess we're about to find out."