Chapter 10

“Why didn’t you listen to me!?” A very distraught Virgil screamed.

“This is all your fault.” Molly roared with rage. 

“Daddy? Why did you let the mean wolf kill Lyla?” Thomas said tugging at Roman’s shirt. 

“It’s fine! They're probably just passing through!” Roman heard his words echo around him. 
The whole pack began to surround him screaming their disapproval. Roman fell to the ground covering his ears, but it didn’t block out the sound. 

“I’m sorry! I’m sorry!” Roman cried. 

“Daddy I can bring her back! Please just wish for her.” 

“You can’t just bring people back to life Thomas!” Roman screamed. 

“Why won’t you listen to me Daddy? I hate you! Bring her back! Bring Lyla back!” 

“I can’t” Roman cried.

“...roman..”

“I’m sorry!” 

“..Roman…” 

“I can’t. I’m sorry.” Roman said almost brokenly.

______

“Roman, love, it’s just a dream, wake up.”

Roman woke with a start jolting upwards nearly slamming his head into Virgil’s. Roman had to gather his bearings before his sad eyes locked with Virgil’s concerned filled ones. 

“Ro?” Roman slammed himself into virgil pulling him as close as he physically could. Virgil reflexively started carrying his fingers through his beloved's hair and began to shush him gently. 

“He hates me! I know he does!” Roman wailed still not able to tell reality from his dream. 

“Who does Ro?”

“Tomas! I yelled at him and now he hates me!” Roman whimpered into his mates chest. “It’s all my fault that Lyla is gone and there is nothing I can ever do to fix it.

Virgil sighed sadly, “Thomas doesn’t hate you Ro. We all are having a hard time with her loss. Thomas is young, he doesn’t quite have a grasp on all these things yet. All he probably understands is Lyla is gone, his best friend, and we are all really sad and you know he hates seeing us upset. He is trying to help in the only way he knows how. He doesn’t hate you.” 

“But I...I…” Roman didn’t know how to finish what he was trying to say so he clammed up and snuggled closer to Virgil with a whimper. 

“How about I go see if Thomas would like to sleep next to us for the rest of the night? We could all use the comfort. Virgil suggested. Despite his attempt to remain strong for Roman and the rest of the pack Virgil’s anxiety was beginning to get to him as well and then both of them would be having a meltdown.

Roman nodded and shifted so that Virgil could get up. Virgil gently caressed Roman’s face as he went by. Roman leaned into the touch with a hesitant smile. He nodded to tell Virgil he would be okay for the few minutes that Virgil would be away. 

A few minutes after Virgil left panic surged through Roman’s veins, but it wasn’t his. He was feeling Virgil’s through the mate bond. Roman shot like a bullet out of bed to his mate who was inside their son’s room.

Virgil was waiting for him, tears cascading down his face. Roman’s stomach dropped. An icy chill began to crawl through his veins until it worked its cold grasp around his heat making it feel as though it had stopped. 

Not a word was said as Virgil handed Roman a small folded piece of paper. On it was the messy scribbles of their son’s handwriting. When he had finished reading Roman looked up. Virgil was gone. He heard through the mind link Virgil calling out to the rest of the pack.  “Everyone wake up! Thomas is gone!”

Roman didn’t move to follow Virgil. His legs gave out on him. He fell to his knees. He knew this was wrong. He knew that he should be with Virgil trying to find their son, but he was frozen. The note falling from his hand fluttering to the ground. Silent tears falling down his cheeks. 

So the plan for at least the next two weeks is to post once a week and if I can keep it up then that will be my schedual. No promises tho.