Chapter 1

Faster! 

Thomas needed to run faster. His breaths were labored and his heart was beating fast, but his legs couldn’t seem to carry him fast enough. He jumped and expertly maneuvered around the dangerous terrane the sound of paws hot on his tail. He ducked behind a large boulder as he hid there attempting to catch his breath. Suddenly a large shadow blocked out the sun casting a shadow across his hiding place. A terrified noise escaped his mouth and he stood and attempted to run away. The sound of barking following him. He felt like he was finally putting some distance between him and his pursuer when a giant red wolf jumped in front of him, its eyes glowing a bright red color. The wolf barked before it lunged at Thomas. Thomas braced for impact. He was knocked to the ground and closed his eyes accepting his fate.

A big wet slobbery tongue made its way across his entire face. “Daddy! Stop! No fair!” Thomas cried as he tried to push the wolf's head away with his tiny six year old hands. The wolf's nose sniffed his face a moment more before he pulled away a smug triumphant look on his face. “You cheated!” 

Roman shifted and pulled his son into his lap. While Thomas pouted. “Now in what way did I cheat?” Roman said amused. 

“I don’t know! You just did.” Thomas said as he crossed his arms. He looked around the ‘dangerous terrane’ that was his backyard and smiled when he saw the perfect weapon nearby. He grabbed the tiny foam sword that had been laying nearby and wacked Roman on the head. Roman was slightly startled by the sudden action and Thomas laughed in victory. The bubbly sound caught the attention of Virgil who had been inside the pack house worked and looked out a window to see his mate and son playing together. He smiled fondly at the two before he saw something that made his blood turn to ice. 

He quickly marched outside, “Roman! What did I say about being too rough with him!?” Virgil demanded. 

“What you mean papa? I’m fine.” Thomas said confused. Roman was just as equally confused.

“Stormcloud he’s fine. He doesn’t even have a scratch on him.”  Roman said gently.

Virgil growled “Doesn’t have a scratch on him!? Look at his arm!” Roman now looking at Thomas’s arm saw a small trickle of blood rolling down. He had probably scratched it when he had hidden behind the rock earlier during their game of chase. Roman raised an unimpressed eyebrow. 

“Really Virgil? That is literally just a scratch. He didn’t even notice it.” Roman said annoyed with Virgil. Thomas was a rambunctious kid and he was bound to get a few scrapes and bruises.

Virgil ignored Roman as he examined the wound. His breathing slightly labored as he worked himself into a mild panic. What if it got infected and his son lost his arm! Unlikely but still! What if after what if popped into his head each worse than the last. Pretty soon the tiny cut seemed like the literal end of the world. 

“Okay playtime is over. Time to go back inside where it is safe.” Virgil stated. 

“But papa, me and daddy were having fun! You should play with us!” Thomas suggested. 

“No, no you’ve had enough outdoor time, it's time to come play inside now.” Virgle stated practically dragging Thomas inside who shot a desperate look to Roman. 

“Virgil, he is fine. You are way too overprotective of him. He isn’t gonna get hurt. I was here with him the whole time.” Roman stated stepping in front of Virgil. 

“And look what happened! His arm is bleeding!” Virgil said, his voice starting to rise in volume. 

“Tis but a scratch!” Roman said referencing a movie in an attempt to keep the mood light. 

 “Roman I am not kidding he is fragile! He could have gotten seriously hurt!” Virgil said, now yelling.

“You are being ridiculous! Let the kid live a little!” Roman said, getting frustrated with his mate. 
“We can’t afford to! What if something happened to him? What then? Hmm? That arm could get infected or something. He isn’t like us! He. Is. Human.” Virgil argued. 

“So what if he is human. You grew up most of your life thinking you were human. DId you let literally inconvenience incapacitate you?” 

“I only thought I was. I wasn’t actually human. There is a difference.” 

“Is there really. Human kids get scrapes and bruises all the time. Thomas takes it like a champ. Any other six year old human would have been crying from that scratch. He was fine. He didn’t even notice!’

“That’s not the point!”

“Then what is!”

Virgil growled and then huffed “I don’t know!”

“You are ridiculous!” 

“I-” Virgil stopped short and then started looking around frantically “Where is he!” They both looked around only to find Thomas was nowhere to be seen.

‘Virgil I think I should let you know before you go into a panic Thomas is with me.’ Virgil relaxed when he heard Molly mind linck him.  ‘He was awfully upset, crying about you two fighting again.’ Virgil and Roman glanced at each other, guilty looks appearing on their faces. ‘I got him calmed down and he is playing with Lyla now. You can either get it together or I am gonna knock some sense into you myself.’ with that she ended the connection. 

Virgil sighed and ran his hand across his face. “I’m sorry that was my fault. You are right I overreacted. I just… I don’t want him getting hurt. I don’t want him to go through what Molly and I did. I… just want to keep him safe.”  Virgil wrapped his arms around himself as he shuddered remembering the awful time he spent locked in a silver cage terrified for his life. He never wanted anything like that to happen to Thomas.

“Come here,” Roman said gently, wrapping his arms around Virgil who leaned into his mate's embrace. 

“We’ll keep him safe, you just have to trust I know what I am doing.” Roman said rubbing soothing circles on Virgil’s back. Virgil nuzzled his face into Roman’s neck.

“Okay.”