Chapter 12

Thomas looked at his friend in disbelief. Lyla smiled happy that her friend could finally see her. 

“How are you here?” Thomas asked.

“Well…”

_____

“W-Who are you?” Lyla could feel her body shaking like a leaf. This guy was so big and his red eyes were sending a chill down Lyla’s spine. 

“Name’s Ron and that friend of yours, little girl, is coming with me.”

Lyla glanced at Thomas. He was shaking more than her. Tears were brimming in his eyes as he stared at the man in front of them. No matter what she couldn’t let this man take her best friend from her. She clenched her fists, gritted her teeth and puffed up her chest. “No!’ 

Lyla cowered back as she saw sharp teeth peak through Rin’s lips as he smiled with an amused glint in his eyes that made Lyla’s blood boil. “Like you could stop me.” 

“You aren’t taking him!” Lyla grabbed Thomas’s hand squeezing tightly. She was going to do everything she could to protect him. 

“Watch me.” Rin tore Thomas from her grip. She watched in horror as  the man started to walk away. The tiny girl felt a snap inside her. She couldn’t let Thomas be taken. 

“No! No! No! You can’t take him!” She cried hitting Rin’s leg with all her strength. Angry tears falling. She was so frustrated. Why couldn’t she do anything? Why was she so small and useless? If she was big like everyone else in the pack she could protect Thomas. 

“Such an annoyance.” She felt her feat leave the ground before a moment of weightlessness. Then pain. Lots of pain. Through blurry vision Lyla saw a flash of white fur. ‘Mama?’ was the last thought she had before the world went dark. 

_________

No matter what I will always be by your side to protect you.

No matter what

By your side

To protect you

Lyla suddenly found herself in a room filled with tiny lights sparkling above her. The room had what looked like an incredibly soft queen size bed with curtains draped around it. On the bed was a remote looking thing. Lyla picked it up and pressed a button. In response one of the walls turned into what seemed like a giant TV screen. On it there looked to be a guide screen. The options included: Loved Ones, Enemies, Locations, Memories. Lyla selected the ‘Love Ones’ option. The screen quickly changed to show what Lyla recognized as the packs living room. In it the whole pack was gathered around the couch. Lyla could hear her mom sobbing as she clutched tightly to something in her arms.

“My baby girl is gone.” Molly cried. 

“Mama? Mama what’s wrong?” Lyla called at the screen. Why did everyone look so sad? Thomas had said something to her mom, but Lyla had missed it. She watched as her mm only seemed to sob harder. Gut wrenching tears that made Lyla’s heart ache. 

“Mama! Mama I’m here! Please stop crying.” After a group hug from the pack everyone started to file out of the room each with their heads hung with despair. Until all that remained was Molly and Dane, left alone with what Lyla realized was her body. 

Dane kneeled down next to Molly. Tears falling slowly down his face. Lyla had never seen her daddy cry. The sight of it made Lyla start sobbing. 

"Mama! Daddy! I'm here." Lyla started hitting her fists on the screen making it glitch out before it went dead. "Mama! Daddy Please!" 

Lyla started to feel this tugging inside her. It was hardly noticeable at first but was slowly getting stronger. It made her feel like she wasn't welcome here. 

Suddenly a door Lyla had not noticed before burst open. This woman stood their breathing heavily like she had just been running. Lyla stared at her as tears continued to slide down her cheeks. When the woman saw Lyla her shoulders slumped down and her face filled with distress. "Oh no. This isn't right. You shouldn't be here. I'm so sorry dear." 

Lyla didn't know why but she felt like she could trust this woman completely. She ran over and wrapped her arms around the woman. She buried her face into the lavender folds of the woman's dress. Lyla sniffed and looked at the woman's kind face. "Who are you?" 

"You can call me aunt Selene." Selene said as she gently ran her hand down the back of Lyla's head. "I mean technically I am your great aunt, but that is such a mouthful." She chuckled softly to herself and Lyla tried her best to give a small smile. 

The tugging that had been pulling at Lyla's insides was getting stronger and the more she tried to ignore it the worse it got. It was almost painful at this point. Lyla winced slightly. 

Selene sighed, "You can't stay. As much as I wish you weren't her in the first place, I am not sure what you are about to endure is much better." Lyla was so lost and confused. "But Lyla before you go, I need you to do me a favor. I know you have been through a lot but promise me to keep Thomas happy." Lyla nodded. "And  don't let Thomas make any wishes until he gets home. Otherwise he will never get home. Do you understand?" 

"No, I don't understand! I'm so confused!" 

Selene let out a frustrated breath. 

"There is only so much I can tell you because you are so young. Just watch the shadows. Keep Thomas safe." 

Lyla whimpered from the pain that the tugging was causing her.

"Time to go Lyla. Good luck."