Chapter 24

When she first started laying down her plans for changing the future there were a certain set of rules that Rei drilled into her head. They weren't rules per se but statements that helped keep her mind straight and helped her feel not totally overwhelmed with the impending future.

One of the things counseled herself on was the fact that she was not omnipresent. she could not change everything. The future relied on several factors and depended on people's decisions and so instead of trying to play god and change every single thing that was bound to go bad, she decided to become a helper instead.

She choose to become someone who would smoothen out the rough edges of the future. someone who would prevent the major and trauma-inducing scars but would not coddle the newest generation of heroes. Even if one of those heroes was her son and others her beloved students.

She knew that in the career path they choose, their encounters with the league would only help in the long run. give them experience and teach them their flaws allowing them to become better heroes in the long run. So as much as she wanted to prevent the USJ attack and allow the children to retain their innocent mindsets for just a while longer, she couldn't dismiss the impact of that specific arc.

In The USJ arc All of class 1-A got their first real-life experience of the world of Pro Heroes, Not to mention they are introduced and warned about The league of villains and Shigaraki Tomura a person who would become one of their main enemies. They are also introduced to the Nomus and the arc also helped boost important friendships mainly between Kirishima and Bakugou.

And due to the magical work of whatever deity ruled this specific world, Rei would not be able to attend the USJ training program alongside the students. On the day of the attack, Rei was scheduled to be working alongside her husband to apprehend a villain with a special quirk that allowed their body to become water. The villain was not a fighter but a master escape artist who stole several million dollars worth of merchandise and always escaped by turning themselves into water and escaping through several drains.

The job of capturing the villain was given to Endeavours agency because the villain's next target was a very famous businessman who sold rare artifacts and jewels to Japan's filthy rich. The person had personally come up to the agency and requested endeavors help and due to the client being high profile he had to personally see that the villain was captured.

Enji could have handled it himself but due to the nature of his quirk, he was afraid of permanently hurting the person, villain or not, as due to his high body heat the villains body could easily evaporate and cause god knows how much damage, and so Rei was assigned to help freeze the body so that capture would be easier and the villain could easily regain his body after the ice melted. And due to this Rei could only join the class midway after the job was done.

In the coming weeks of the Attack Rei trained her class to the best of their abilities and drilled teamwork strategies into their heads. She made sure that all the students were familiar with each other's quirks so that even the unlikeliest of pairs could take on a team by working together. she knew that all the student's quirks were not strong enough to take on experienced villains and so she taught them about strength in numbers and the element of surprise.

She helped all of her students to learn the basics of martial arts and other forms of hand-to-hand combat especially students like Jiro and Ochaco whose quirks were not very useful when it came to direct combat. she paired everyone up in rotations so that they were comfortable with everyone and knew who was talented in what areas. They all weren't totally in sync and working together flawlessly but it wasn't something she expected from them, that level of teamwork took years not just a few weeks of classes but it was a start and she was happy with that.

especially when even Midoriya and Bakugo would work together sometimes. Yes there was a lot of shouting and curses thrown around, mainly from Bakugou, but at least they got the job done. a lot of fun moments came from these exercises that brought a lot of laughter but also made the two rethink their priorities and pushed them to work better together.

During one of the classes, she had decided to take a page from All Mights book and made them work through the heroes and villains exercise. Midoriya and Bakugou were the villains and they were paired to fight against Sero and Mineta who were the heroes. The job of the villains was to steal money from the bank and successfully escape within a given timeframe while the heroes had to capture the villains.

At first, it was looking as though the villains would have an easy win as Bakugou kept on making sero's tape burn using his quirk and Mineta couldn't properly trap them using the purple orbs as they kept dodging his hits. But the twist came during the end. Time was running out and Sero and Mineta had disappeared. Bakugou and Midoriya were arguing about escape routes when suddenly out of nowhere sero had jumped and had wrapped his tapes around Bakugou and Midoriya capturing them. Bakugou tried using his quirk but it didn't work and Midoriya couldn't even think up an escape plan before the alarm rang signaling the end of the exercise. 

Turns out sero had attached Mineta's purple orbs to his tape making it look like an octopus's hands and used it to capture the two. The orbs were strong enough to even trap All Might and that meant that they simply couldn't escape, not to mention they helped control Bakugous quirk as they were not flammable.

Bakugou had thrown a hissy fit acting like an absolute child but Rei had set him straight with a lecture about his behavior. "You two are not children anymore, the day you choose to enter a profession that involved saving people's lives and protecting their livelihoods was the day your time as children ended. Now it's time to step up and stop acting like a toddler for losing a battle because of your own fault. Midoriya had an excellent plan and if only you had listened to him you would have reached the safe zone with minutes to spare, instead, you choose to argue for no apparent reason, learn to manage your temper Bakugou. As a hero, you will face many emotionally taxing decisions and you can't afford to lose control. Hero work needs a calm and rational mind, now go to the viewing area. We'll talk about Midorya's performance later"

Bakugou had sulked for a day but then during the next few classes had thrown himself to work with a vigor not seen before. He was also trying very hard not to lose his temper, Not that many others noticed very much as he still burst into screams and curses now and then. But Rei could see his effort as his outburst now took longer to occur and he scowled more and due to partially raising the boy she could see how hard he was trying to reign the anger in. To see him trying to improve himself made Rei burst into smiles and she was sure Midoriya noticed the Change too as he too was on a roll, working harder than before.

But as all things came to an end, so did this brief moment of peace. On the day of the attack, Rei left their home fully dressed in her Pro-Hero Uniform with Enji by her side. She gave Shoto an extra-long and tight hug and told him to stay safe and remember her lessons (to which he just nodded with an overly serious face) and entered the car, always keeping an eye on her phone for Nezu's emergency call, waiting for the inevitable.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Thank you soo much for reading this chapter, sorry for the delay. You'll be getting two other chapters this month and then it's back to the regular scheduling of one chapter per month. Don't forget to vote and comment.

Neferaskingdom.