Chapter 5: Memories and Ideals

Reimi stared at the tombstone in front of her. She smiled bitterly upon reading the name written on it.

Sugawara no Hideyoshi

Her smile vanished as her gaze went to the tree behind it. A memory played before her eyes. She held her chest. She felt like as if her heart's been torned into pieces. She was busy trying to know why that she didn't notice the tears which were rapidly running down on her cheeks.

"Silly," she said as she wiped her tears. "Why can't you just move on, self?"

She chuckled. She didn't expect she'll react this way seeing his name again. It's been hundreds of years, she met thousands of men but no one can replace him in her heart. No men will be able to surpass the feelings she had for him.

From the first time her eyes laid on him, until now that she'll never see him again, he remained to be the only one she ever loved.

"Reimi?" Her heart skipped a beat as she heard the voice she thought she'll never hear again. She turned around but she only regret what she did.

Suddenly, she was surrounded by flames. She watched as numerous people got eaten by the fire alive. She started to hear the sound of their suffering. The sound of their skins getting burned. She couldn't bear with it anymore.

She shut her eyes and covered her ears, hoping the voices will vanish. However, it only made her hear the worst.

She started to hear the way she cried in pain, she heard her scream that was full of anguish. She decided to open her eyes but she just wish she didn't. She saw the dead body of the man she loved in front of her and she witnessed how sorcerers beheaded the only friend she had back then.

Her eyes widened as she saw the corpse of those two whom she cared the most were staring at her. Bigger fire enveloped the whole place and the cries of those she killed on that night became clearer and sharper.

She closed her eyes and covered her ears once more.

"Stop! Please, stop!" she begged as she couldn't stand it anymore. Her knees already gave up but her memories were still overwhelming her.

"Anyone, please, I'm begging you. Make it stop." Tears have streamed down from her eyes. Her chest rose and fell with rapid breaths. She was desperate for help.

"What a rare scene to see the person who took countless lives in just one night cry. Allow me to record this, this is history!" Suddenly, the voices a while ago vanished. The heavy feeling she had was lifted.

She opened her eyes and looked up to the man who made all those painful memories go away. She froze for a second. The image of the man she loved appeared but she immediately shook her head. That's not the time for it. Most importantly, he's taking a video of her!

She tried to grab the phone in front of her but he's too fast and she doesn't have the energy to cope up with him. After moving around, she gave up and sat beneath the tree.

"I remember that I wanted to tell you something," said Gojo. He walked and sat beside her. "I was supposed to tell you this after you've settled your business with the Black Foxes but this is a great opportunity to share it with you... I know you've noticed, I really don't have the characteristics to be a teacher."

"Then why become one?"

"We both know how evil those who have the authority in this world. They're just a bunch of fools and cowards. My dream is to rebuild this world." Reimi cackled to his answer.

"You cannot rebuild this world and if you can, how will you do that?" she asked.

"It's easy to slaughter those who are in the top but they will just be replaced and nothing will change. Anyone who would simply kill the higher-ups wouldn't gain any followers... That's why, I chose education," he firmly answered. "To raise strong and clever comrades."

"Good luck to your dream, then. I wish you all the best."

"You said that I cannot rebuild this world, what made you think so?"

"It's useless. First, if you're rebuilding it based on your ideal, it won't last long until there are people who'll try to rebuild it based on their own ideals, too. Second, even if you successfully rebuild this world, the evil will always find its way in," she explained. "As long as humans are vulnerable, it will always live with us. Rebuilding it will be useless, it will always go back on what it was used to."

"Imagine playing house of cards," she added. "Let's say the jujutsu society is those cards that were placed on top of one another. What are the possible reasons why a house of cards will fall? External factors like wind and such, imbalance... or the lack of patience or control of the one who builds it."

"You, you're an external factor, you're like someone who watches the one who was playing it then you're unsatisfied of his or her work. You demolished it and rebuild it based on your own idea. But even if you rebuild it, there will be a time that it has to fall. Either because someone wanted to rebuild it himself, a wind who easily broke their formation, an imbalance between the cards... or you lose your control over it."

"Then what do you think I should do?" Gojo appealed.

"I don't know, I'm not a fan of card games." She shrugged her shoulders. "No, I'm not a fan of gambling at all. I learned my lesson."

"You look like the type of person who has a dream. Did you gamble so you'll be able to achieve it?"

"I did... and I lost twice of my bet," she told him. "Your dream is more attainable than I had back then, so you should try to reach it."

"What's your dream?"

"I just want a peaceful world, that's all. A world where the non-sorcerers, sorcerers and cursed spirits can live in harmony. I only realized it was childish when I had lost two loved ones for it."

"World peace, huh? Did you become a teacher so you can teach it to your students?"

"I've always wanted to be a teacher, you know. I teach because I do not want my students to be like this or that. I solely teach for the reason to see my students grow and become the kind of person they have always wanted to be," she replied.

"Guide them towards the right path so they won't enter the wrong path I once took. Accompany them so they won't end up alone," Reimi added. "And if you ask me if I want them to rebuild the world, I'll be more glad to see them creating their own one and go live by their own rules."

"I see, that must be the reason why your students are so fond of you."

"Your dream sounds great though," she commented.

"Then why don't you join me? You might be able to improve your reputation, too," he suggested to her.

"It's impossible but... if those cowards were replaced by those clever students of yours, I might be able to have my normal life again." Reimi stood up and exhaled. "It's decided, then. If you wish to eradicate the scums on this society, then allow me to help you, however, not as a fellow teacher but as a fellow sorcerer."