Chapter 13: The First Friend

The next day, Reimi left to do her mission. It was said that she is going to exorcise a curse created by a shared image of the masses. She journeyed towards the nearest village where the last sighting appeared.

When she arrived, she was confused. It looked like as if the villagers deserted the place. However, her guts was telling her that there are still some people left. She just need to explore.

She knocked on one of the houses there. She heard a sound as if something had broken on the other side. She also heard two people whispering to each other. She knocked once again but they became silent.

There are people inside. They must be scared so they won't open the door.

She have to think of a way so she can gain their trust. But how? She must choose her words wisely. Something that a cursed spirit will not say.

"I am a cursed spirit. Even if you lock your door or block it from the inside, I can just destroy it so I can enter your home. It is your choice so choose. Be stubborn or be welcoming. I might spare you if you become the latter," she nonchalantly said.

She smiled when she heard footsteps. The door opened and she was greeted by an old man who was about to stab her with a kitchen knife but he stopped mid-air.

"W-Who are you?" he yelled. "And what did you do? Why did I stop?"

"Me? Unlike what I said earlier, I am a sorcerer. I exorcise cursed spirits. About you, I did not stop you. You just approached the infinity and slowed down, so slow that you thought you refrained from moving," she answered while entering their home then closed the door.

She deactivated Infinity, she held the man's knife and took it away from him.

"If you think you can kill a cursed spirit with this kind of weapon, then it only means you are ready for your own death," she said, fearlessly caressing the blade on her hands. "No need to be afraid though. I came here to gather some answers. First, why are the villagers hiding?"

"There are rumors going on around."

"Rumors? I'm so-"

"Please lower down your voice! The monster might hear you!"

"So you have seen it?" she questioned in a serious tone. "What does it look like?"

"F-Fox, the n-nine-tailed one," he stuttered.

"The rumor that went around, what is it?"

"A nine-tailed fox who can shapeshift into a young beautiful woman lures men and children then it will devour them. No one believed it at first but when they saw the chief's corpse with missing body organs, people started to believe it. Few weeks after, more bodies were found."

"Do you know where are those bodies?"

"It was in the house before you enter the forest." Reimi nodded at him. "Are you going to kill the monster?"

"It is my job to keep you safe," she assured him and left.

She walked towards the house that the man told her. She knocked on the door first but she received no response. Her eyes widened when she felt a powerful presence. She immediately charged towards the door and she froze on the sight in front of her.

There was a ton of lifeless body. She almost vomited on their condition. Their stomach was wide open and some of their interstines were hanging. Her hand landed on the wall as its unpleasant smell entered her nostrils and dizzied her head.

She shook her head. She have to focus, she have a mission to fulfill. She pinched her nose so she won't be able to smell it. She walked closer to the bodies.