Chapter 14: The Fall and The Rise

For weeks, Reimi would always sneak out at night and enter the forest to meet Kyuu. They will talk and do so many things. On the daytime of those days, she always meet with Hideyoshi underneath the biggest tree to train. She learned a lot of techniques already. To be able to remember all of them, she kept them in a special box.

She have improved so much that even Hideyoshi proclaimed her as the strongest.

The sun already went down. Reimi decided to pay a visit to her friend. She quietly ran all the way to the forest and went to the place where they will always bond. But the cursed spirit was nowhere to be found.

She heard a scream from somewhere near. She held her sword and rushed to where she heard it. She was unable to move when she saw what happened.

She quickly hid behind the tree. She was thankful that she discovered how to conceal her cursed energy. However, she have to use a special glasses that can help her see cursed spirits.

"Kyuu..." she mumbled before running away.

Later that night, she tried to act normal in front of Kyuu. She pretended that she saw nothing. Maybe she will talk to her about that some other day.

"You do really like him, don't you?" Kyuu teased her. Reimi let out an awkward laugh. "Too bad, he is married. But what if his family vanished? Do you think you will have a chance to him?"

"W-What are you saying, Kyuu? Even if they disappear, I am pretty sure his feelings will never change. One more thing, maybe... this is just a phase. Most of the girls at my age always dreamed of being with someone. Once I became an adult, I will probably laugh on my thoughts right now."

"Are you really okay with that? Your feelings being not reciprocated?"

"I was hoping that maybe he likes me, too, but it's not like we always get what we want, right? I'm contented with this. At least... he doesn't hate me yet."

"Why would he hate you? You are a lovely girl, brilliant, smart, cheerful, responsible. I really think you are a lot better than his wife. She probably did some black magic so he fell for her."

"Kyuu," Reimi pleaded. "Promise me, you will not kill any human."

"For you, Reimi. Then you should promise, too, then. Live your life to the fullest. Do not abandon it, even if you are all alone." Their pinky fingers interlocked with each other. Reimi tried to smile but no matter how many times she tried, she cannot move her lips.

"Don't leave me, Kyuu!" she cried.

"I won't leave you for I will always be a part of you. Remember that. You are the best person I met. You have always protected other people, prioritizing their lives over your own one-even if they would always hurt you."

"Kyuu, let's achieve your dream. Let's create a world where everyone, everything can live in harmony," Reimi declared.

"That sounds great. I am glad I found you. Thank you for being my friend."

Reimi thought that there was something wrong with Kyuu except to what she saw a while ago. She felt like she's saying goodbye to her.

Tomorrow came and she was right, the conversation they had that night is the last time she shared with her.

She woke up to the sound of panic from everyone. She went out and asked one of the sorcerers.

"Hideaki and his mother are nowhere to be found!" Reimi froze when she heard that.

The incident she saw yesterday flashed before her eyes.

The crushed headless body of the child laying on the ground and the bloody body of the mother on Kyuu's mouth. She clenched her fist and excused herself.