Sympathy for the demon

[Scene: Law office. Cole, two men and a court reporter are there. Cole hands the men some files and sits down across from them.]

Cole: I'd like to draw your attention to exhibit W, delivery manifest, you'll find it on page six of your documents. As you can see the manifest refers to a shipment made on September 5 of last year.

Man #1: (whispers) I don't know what this demon's trying to prove.

Cole: Excuse me, did you say something?

Man #1: No, please, continue.

(Cole starts to sweat. He has a sip of water.)

Cole: The shipping director, Mr. Peters is responsible for the items on this manifest including, uh, forty-eight barrels of toxic waste.

Man #2: (whispers) Trying to deny what he is. Like we don't know. (to Cole) You give us all a bad name.

(Man #2's eyes glow red. Cole stands up.)

Cole: What the hell is going on here?

Man #2: It's called a deposition.

Man #1: You alright, Mr. Turner?

Cole: I'm sorry, excuse me.

(Cole rushes outside. The men shrug.)

[Cut to the hallway. Cole loosens his tie and walks into an elevator where there are two other men. The door closes and Cole waits.]

Man #3: Check out the demon.

(Cole turns to them.)

Cole: What'd you say?

Man #3: You're an embarrassment to us all, you know that.

(Their eyes glow red.)

Cole: Just leave me alone.

Man #3: Give it up, Cole. You can never be good. (Cole turns around and throws a fireball at them. He covers his eyes and they are vanquished. Cole uncovers his eyes and notices the two men standing there again.) Are you okay, man?

[Time lapse. Cole is walking quickly down a hallway. He reaches his office and closes the door behind him. He breathes heavily. He notices Phoebe sitting in his chair.]

Cole: Phoebe, thank god. I need your help. (He walks over to his desk.) I think I'm going crazy or somebody's messing with my mind.

Phoebe: Shh, slow down. Tell me what happened.

Cole: I was just apposing a witness for chemical dumping case and I went...

(He notices a formal notification of divorce action form on his desk. Phoebe picks them up and walks around to Cole.)

Phoebe: Final divorce papers. I need you to sign them.

Cole: That's why you're here?

Phoebe: Yeah, it's finally over, officially. Because you're evil.

Cole: No, you're wrong.

Phoebe: No, I'm right. You've always been evil and you always will be.

Cole: That's not true.

Phoebe: Yes, it is. (She touches his face.) Cole, don't fight it. It's who you are.

Cole: I'm not evil, damn it! I'm not evil! (He grabs Phoebe around her neck and pins her against the wall. A picture frame smashes behind her. Suddenly, it's not Phoebe anymore. It's his assistant. Cole looks shocked and lets go of her.) Lauren. (Lauren runs out of the room, frightened. Cole starts to panic.) What's happening to me?