11

Familiar voices filled the room.

"Hermione! Hermione, are you alright?" It was Harry

"Help us, please!" Hermione and I were still cowering on the floor, surrounded by the remnants of the toilet stalls.

"Y/n? You're here too?"

"No time for questions Ronald," I yelled. "Do something!"

Harry took a flying leap at the troll and fastened himself to the troll's back.

Hermione yelled something about 'keeping the "gar" nice and long, but Ron seemed to understand it. He yelled something and with the flick of his wand, the troll's club flew into the air and then dropped back down, hitting the troll on the head and knocking him unconscious. Luckily, Harry didn't get squashed in the process. Ron helped Hermione and me to our feet and we stood there for a moment, just breathing.

"Well, that was a close one," Ron said. He eyed the unconscious troll warily.

All of a sudden, the bathroom opened again and Professors McGonagall, Snape, and Quirrell burst in. They were shocked and we got quite the scolding.

"But why were you four here in the first place?" she stared down at us.

"Er, well-" Ron tried to speak but Hermione cut him off.

"I-I went looking for the troll," she lied. "I've read all about them and I thought I could stop it on my own," I stared at her, puzzled.

"Hermione, that is not what happened," her eyebrows shot up but I gave her a reassuring look. "I was on my way to the bathroom when I saw the troll. I lured it in here, thinking I could trap it or something. But the troll was stronger than I had expected. I would have died right then if Hermione hadn't come to save me. She was doing the right thing and tried her best to protect me. Unfortunately, the troll was still too strong and we were in a really bad position when the boys arrived. They saved our lives. But really, the whole thing is my fault. I shouldn't have tried to trap it," I lowered my head in shame.

"Well, you are quite right that you should not have tried to trap it!" McGonagall turned on me. "What on earth were you thinking?"

"I-I am really sorry Professor," I looked up at her. "I never meant for anyone to be in danger,"

"Well, that didn't work out very well for you, now did it?" McGonagall replied. She managed to calm herself down a bit before speaking again. "I will have to speak to your head of house about this, but I must admit that that is most bravery I have seen in a Hufflepuff for a long time," She still took five points away from Hermione, but Harry and Ron each earned five for "dumb luck". Snape seemed extremely upset, but it was common knowledge that Snape wanted Harry expelled. I was glad that McGonagall saw the goodness in what they did.

What was more, I had made a new friend. Although I still made sure that Ron and Harry regretted what they said about her, the troll experience had changed their minds. From that moment on, Hermione Granger became our friend. Because there are some things you can't go through in life without becoming friends, and knocking out a twelve-foot mountain troll is one of them.