30

Papa welcomed us home with open arms and we spent the last few days of our summer holiday back in the woods, picking flowers and fruits and playing with the gnomes that Luna insisted we let stay in the garden.

Soon enough, we were packing out trunks, stowing away our summer clothes until next year, filling our cases with sweaters and tights and boots for the colder months we would spend at school.

The day came for us to travel back to London. We were almost late to the train, crashing through the barrier and skipping our way up the steps of the train, only for it to start moving before the doors closed behind us. We blew kisses out the window to Papa until we were swallowed up by the tunnel, and only then did we relax enough to try and find a carriage.

We looked up and down the train until we found Hermione and Ginny at the end of the corridor, peering into another compartment window.

"Y/n! Luna!" Hermione yelped at the sight of us and Ginny turned with a start.

"Well, well, well, what's got you both in such a tizzy? Luna accepted a hug from Ginny, who then launched herself at me.

"We can't find Harry or Ron," Hermione chewed at her lip, her brow crinkling with concern.

"They were supposed to go through the barrier right after me," Ginny said, "But I got caught up in the crowd and missed them coming through. Now we can't find them at all,"

"Well they've got to be here somewhere," I scanned the corridor again.

"It's so strange," Hermione continued, "I don't know where they could have gone. Even if we didn't see them on the platform, they'd be on the train." She peeked into another carriage window.

"Still looking for our baby brother?" a jaunty voice called from down the corridor. I turned to see the twins sauntering towards us.

"Honestly, I don't think he's worth it," George remarked, grinning. "We only really need to find Harry. That one's actually got a price over his head,"

"Did you even search your section at all? How can you talk about your own brother like that?" The color was rising in Hermione's face. "What if they're lost, or they got stuck in the barrier or hit by the train or taken away by You-Know-Who or-" Her voice was rising too, in volume and in pitch, and a few heads poked out from compartment doors to see who was making all the fuss. Hermione buried herself in my shoulder, and I exchanged looks with the group over her hair. Everyone seemed to be in a state of pain from trying to hold their laughter in.

"Hermione-" Fred tried to speak, chuckled, composed himself, and tried again. "Hermione, you realize that all of those things have a very low chance of happening?"

"Yeah," Ginny agreed. "They probably just forgot something in the car and had to go back. They missed the train, but it wasn't because You-Know-Who swooped down in the middle of Kings Cross and plucked them off the ground. You know that's not actually what happened, right?"

Hermione's shoulders shook, and at first, I thought she was crying, but she pulled away with a weak chuckle.

"Right," her cheeks were still pink, but this time, it wasn't from panic. She glanced at the floor. "Sorry. I- well, I suppose that was a bit-"

"-preemptive?"

"unrequired?"

"Over-the-top-mental?"

"Shut it, I was worried," Hermione glared at us and I grinned back. "Now let's go find a compartment, I need to sit down,"