28

Mrs. Weasley applauded madly and Harry made his way back to us, beet-red and struggling under the weight of the textbooks. Hermione took a few of the books into her arms to lighten the load and Harry sighed with relief when the crowd started to form a line in front of Lockhart and forgot about him.

"Children, give me your money. I'll get the books and you all can go wait outside, how does that sound?" We nodded, eager to get out of the stifling shop, and I handed Mrs. Weasley the money Papa had given us for our school supplies. We turned to leave but a voice stopped us.

"Well, well, well, if it isn't the famous Mr. Potter," An icy growl came from behind us and we turned to face the source. A tall man, dressed all in black peered down the end of his nose at us. "And he's brought his little friends,"

"Lucious," Mr. Weasley's voice had a sharp warning to it.

"Arthur," the man replied coolly.

"That's Malfoy's dad," Ron whispered out of the corner of his mouth.

"Father, there you are, I've- oh," another sneering voice pierced the bustle of the crowded bookshop.

"And there's Malfoy," Ron mumbled again. Malfoy turned.

"I'm surprised to see you here, Weasel. Bet your family will go hungry for weeks trying to pay for supplies for all of you," Ron lunged but Luna and Harry held him back by the sleeve.

Mrs. Weasley returned, tipping various books into cauldrons and outstretched arms

"Sorry about that one, Ginny Dear, they were selling used ones for half the price, and the cover's a little torn-, ''

"Honestly Arthur, can't even buy your children proper books-," Lucious snatched the torn book from Ginny's hands and she flinched.

Mr. Weasley looked from Lucious to his daughter and then back again. Rage was radiating from him in waves

"- I didn't think your family could sink any lower," There was a crash as Mr. Weasley leaped at Mr. Malfoy, as they toppled into a precarious display, scattering copies of Magical Me across the floor.

"Go, Dad! Get him!" The twins cheered their father on as the two upset another bookshelf.

"Arthur! Arthur, no!" Mrs. Weasley tried to pry the men apart, but she was knocked aside like a bowling pin. The photographer was giddy with excitement, jumping about with his camera flashing triumphantly.

Alrigh' then you lot, calm down," A familiar booming voice broke through the chaos as Hagrid made his way through the crowd. He pulled the men apart and they stood, glaring and sweaty at one another.

"Gentlemen, please. I'm going to have to ask you to tidy up," The bookshop assistant looked rather frazzled as his hands flitted about over the sea of books that littered the floor. Grudgingly, the men bent to straighten the mess thrusting books back onto shelves and into our upset caldrons.

"We'll be going now, Molly," Arthur straightened up and escorted our large group out of the shop, not looking back until we were breathing the chilly outside air.