17

A golden light was seeping in around my vision. Awareness was beginning to sharpen. I noticed a faint throbbing in my head and left arm. My whole body felt thick and heavy. I blinked my eyes but the light cut sharp and painfully bright on my eyes. I winced away from it, scrunching my eyelids shut once again.

"Madam Pomfrey! I think she's awake!" a familiar voice called out from a few feet away. Madam Pomfrey? The nurse? But how could she know where we were? We were under the school. No one knew we were here. But where was all that light coming from? And that voice,

"Ronald?" I peeked through a squint in my eyelids again to see the blurry, but familiar round face and red hair peering at me from the bed over. We were in the hospital wing.

"It's about time!" he laughed. "You've been out for ages,"

"Really?"

"No, not ages, dear, but it is the daytime now. Mr. Weasley awoke about a half hour ago and has been waiting impatiently for you to awaken,"

"I get bored easily," Ron grumbled defensively.

I looked around the hospital wing, which was empty except for a bed with the privacy curtains pulled around it.

"Where are Luna and Hermione?" I asked. "Are they hurt?'

"They brought you and Mr. Weasley in here late last night. Rather, I think it was early this morning. I treated them for some minor burns, but they're alright now."

"What about Harry?" I didn't know how much Madam Pomfrey knew about our adventure, and I didn't want to get into more trouble than I suspected we had already caused.

"That's him over there," Madam Pomfrey gestured to the concealed bed across the room. "He'll be alright as well. His injuries were a tad more dramatic than yours, but with some rest, he'll be up and moving again in no time."

"When will we be able to leave?" Ron asked.

"Well, you two did sustain pretty serious head injuries and Ms. Lovegood had a mild fracture in her wrist, but once this dose of medicine kicks in, you'll be able to leave," She handed Ron and me glasses of a frothy yellow potion and instructed us to drink. In a swift gulp, I swallowed mine all at once. It tasted like grass, but after a moment, I felt the pounding in my head and arm fade away slowly, and then all at once, it was gone.

"Wow," I twisted my arm around and detected no pain.

"Thank you," Madam Pomfrey smiled primly. "Stay seated for a moment, so I can make sure there aren't any side effects,"

A few minutes later, Ron and I exited the hospital wing, a fresh spring in our steps. As we turned the corner, we saw two familiar figures approaching from down the corridor.

"Luna,"

"Y/n!" We hurtled down the hallway towards each other and crashed into an embrace, giddy with laughter. I felt a tear of relief slide down my face. We broke apart and I flung myself at Hermione who chuckled at my emotional greeting. Ron stood by us awkwardly until Luna laughed, throwing her arms around him. Hermione gave him a small nod and a smile. Ron smiled sheepishly back at her until I finally broke the silence.

"Well? What happened? You know, after Ron and I were knocked out?"

Hermione and Luna began their story, interrupting each other frequently to add details. Once Harry had won the giant chess match, the three of them had gone ahead to the next room. A large troll had been the next obstacle to face "out cold, thank goodness," Hermione made sure to point out. "He smelled quite awful" was Luna's addition. The next room had held something quite different.

"Potions?" Ron shook his head.

"And a riddle?" I asked, incredulous.

"And fire?" Ron added.

"Yes! It told us which potions were poison and harmless and which would get us through which fire," Hermione rambled on.

"Harry took the one that led him forward, of course," Luna smiled, "and Hermione and I shared the one that would take us back. There wasn't much though; the fire burned us"

The story continued, and Ron and I could only stare silently. Hermione and Luna had gone back to the key room, collected brooms, and flown our unconscious forms back through the trapdoor. It was all so incredibly clever until I thought about who had devised such a plan. Only my Ravenclaw sister and the smartest girl in our year.

"I've heard people talking in the halls," Luna commented, and Hermione nodded fretfully.

"I don't know how people found out so quickly, but I suppose they could have picked it up from a teacher. They talk as well I suppose,"

"I reckon you're right," Ron agreed.