27

"Ron! Luna! Over here!" We turned to see Hermione waving from the doorway of a nearby shop. "We get most of our books in here. Apparently, the author is doing a special signing today, so we'll get to meet him!"

"Really? Gilderoy Lockhart is here?" Mrs. Weasley looked up sharply. Hermione nodded. "Well, we don't want to keep him waiting, do we? Come on now everyone, hurry hurry!"

The bookstore was crowded, so Mrs. Weasley made Mr. Weasley and the twins go on our other errands while we bought books. She managed to push her way to the front of the crowd, and I noticed her trying to smooth her hair as she caught sight of him. Gilderoy Lockhart was tall, blonde, and blue-eyed. His teeth were perfectly straight and white, and he didn't hesitate to show them off.

"That's right ladies and gents! Step right up, gather round! Oh, but do leave room for the camera, yes, that's it," The crowd was pushy and energetic, shoving at each other in an effort to get closer to the famous author. There seemed to be an alarming number of adult women present for a children's school book shop sale.

"Welcome, welcome everyone!" The man was filled with energy, and his excitement only seemed to encourage the throngs of people crowding into the bookshop. He gazed around at his admirers until his gaze fell on Harry, who was squeezed roughly between me and Luna.

"Is that-" His voice rose "Yes, yes it is! Ladies and gentlemen, your visit to this shop today just became vastly more interesting. Not only will you get a chance to meet me, Gilderoy Lockhart, 5-time winner of Witch Weekly's Most-Charming-Smile Award, but you will also get to catch a glimpse of the famed Harry Potter!"

The crowd went wild, craning to see where Lockart was pointing. I felt Harry shrink backwards, trying to hide behind me, but it was no use. Lockhart snagged Harry by the front of his shirt and pulled him with surprising strength to the front of the room. His arm wound tightly around Harry's shoulder as he directed Harry to look into the camera. The photographer looked like he was about to have a fit. He scuttled back and forth, snapping shot after shot. Each time, the camera let out a puff of purple smoke, and by the time the cameraman was satisfied, the air was thick and hazy.

"The two of us are guaranteed to make the front page m'boy," Lockhart gave Harry a hearty pat on the back, which nearly sent him sprawling. Harry didn't look at all like he was excited by the idea. Lockhart turned back to the audience.

"Everyone, the book signing will begin shortly, but first, you all will witness me give the first set of new books to Mr. Potter here, free of charge!" The crowd cheered at this proclamation of generosity, but Harry still looked like a deer caught in headlights. Books were shoved into Harry's arms as he nearly collapsed from their combined weight.

Mrs. Weasley applauded madly and Harry made his way back to us, beet-red and struggling under the weight of the textbooks. Hermione took a few of the books into her arms to lighten the load and Harry sighed with relief when the crowd started to form a line in front of Lockhart and forgot about him.

A/N: Hi everyone! I am oh so very sorry that my absence has been so long. Now that I have finished the show and finals, I should have a little more writing time. If there is anyone still reading, I appreciate you :) 

<3 Charley