19

Three days later, as we met outside the hospital wing for our daily check-up on Harry. As soon as I walked in, I could tell something was different. Professor Dumbledor was standing at Harry's bedside, but by the looks of it, he was about to leave. As he turned, we caught sight of the bed, and in it, a conscious, healthy-looking Harry. I felt myself smiling as we rushed over. We had all brought him things during his unconsciousness as had the Weasley twins and some of his other admirers. His bedside table was spilling over with cards and flowers and sweets of all kinds.

"Oh my goodness, Harry!" Hermione shrieked as she flung herself at him, hugging him. I saw him wince as she knocked his bandaged arm, but he didn't say anything. He was beaming as well. I gave him a gentler, one-armed hug and set the gift of the day down next to his bed.

"We are so happy you're awake, Harry," Luna shook his hand in her odd little manner and Ron nudged Harry's arm.

"It- it's good to have you back, mate," Ron's tone was neutral, but I could see a smile tugging at the corner of his mouth. He really was grateful to have his best friend back.

"Thanks, guys" Harry smiled around at all of us.

"So," I raised my eyebrows at him. "What did Dumbledore want?"

"Oh, he was just telling me about the stone. Apparently, it's been destroyed," Harry nodded.

"Destroyed?" Hermione asked, shocked. "But doesn't that mean that the Flamels-"

"Yeah," Harry replied. "But Dumbledore said he talked to them, so I guess they're okay with it. They have had a pretty long life,"

"665 years. They must have seen quite a lot," Luna smiled at the thought. "I suppose it would feel like going to sleep after a long day,"

"That's exactly what Dumbledore said," Harry looked curiously up at Luna, but she was staring intensely at the dust gathering in a nearby sunbeam.

"Well, did the nurse lady say when you're allowed to leave?" Ron asked, jerking his head in the direction of Madam Pomfrey's office.

"That's Madam Pomfrey to you," the nurse swept around from behind us, and Ron jumped back in fright, knocking into Harry's table and causing quite a clatter. His face flushed a furious crimson, and Harry laughed. I noticed the edge of Madam Pomfrey's lip quirk up into what might have been the beginning of a smile.

"And, yes, Mr. Potter, you are free to go. I'll have your gifts sent up to your dormitory separately,"

We thanked Madam Pomfrey and made our way out and when we emerged into the hallway, there was already a crowd waiting for us. People started pushing and yelling, trying just to catch a glimpse of the famous boy beside us. The rest of us managed to form a sort of a huddle as we tried to usher Harry away from the swarm. We made it to the Gryffindor Common Room and Luna and I watched as Ron, Harry, and Hermione climbed through a hole in the wall behind a portrait of an overweight woman. 

Luna and I walked together until my path split toward the kitchens and hers upwards, to a tower nestled away in the walls of Hogwarts. We shared one more hug before saying goodbye and making our way back to our separate homes. I got myself into the common room before deciding I needed to lie down. I needed to give my brain a moment. In the chaos, I hadn't really had a moment to stop and take a breath. I was grateful that finals had been canceled. I opened the door to my dormitory and flopped down onto my bed. Phineas came padding across the room from his cushion by the fire and tangled his claws in my sweater before settling contentedly on my chest. I hadn't been planning on sleeping, but my eyelids were drooping and soon enough, they slid shut and I was asleep.