Chapter 3

Alina

We just had our drinks and now we're on a walk. I wait till we are in complete clear of the club to start talking about my plan.

"Like I said it's not hard to steal money. And sometimes your not even stealing. What are everyone's talents. Can anyone hear sing?"

"I can! I think I can at least. Normally just sing in front of my friends and family though." Nina said. I hope she can sing.

"Let's hear it!" I said. If she can actually sing, we won't have to steal much. Or as much.

As she starts to sing I get distracted. I see something in the distance. It's dark and looks something like a shadow. Darkness. I think I'm hallucinating because now the darkness is all around me.

This is fake. I keep telling myself because there is no way that this is real. Aleksander is dead. Gone. His body is somewhere in the fold or in a volcra's body.

"Alina....." a voice calls out. I don't recognize it. It's not Aleksander's. I know it's familiar but I don't know why. I've never heard it I don't think.

"Alina, help us!" another voice calls out. "You can stop this. Why don't you?"

"Stop what!" I yell. I know this is fake but it feels so real.

"The fold killed us. It killed us all." Then it hits me. It my parents talking. As I realize who I was talking to they start walking from the darkness.

I go to hug them but instead they grab me. Hurt me.

"Why? Why are you doing this? Your hurting me!"

"You could've saved us. But you were to afraid. Afraid of losing your sweet Mal." My mother says. As more and more of the people who died in the fold emerge from the darkness.

"You could've saved us." They chant. "You could've saved us sun summoner."

"Stop." I say. I cover my ears. But it doesn't work. They keep chanting those same words. As I crawl into a ball. Tears fill my eyes. It's quiet now though.

"You could've saved me." I look up. Aleksander.

"It wasn't my fault. I didn't know!" I yell. And a burst of sun light comes out of me.

I open my eyes to see I'm back in the real world. Thank saints. Nina has just come to the end of her song. I feel bad I didn't hear it. But everyone claps so I assume it was good. I clap as well to make it seem like I was paying attention.

"Great. You can sing and try to get money. Inej and Jesper if you don't mind maybe dancing with her songs. It could a-track more people." I say.

"Of course. The more money we can get the better." Inej says.

"Alright, Kaz and Mal you are with me. Kaz since you know more people here, who has money? Who keeps it at their house?"

"I don't know many. But I know a place that is full of rich people's money. It's not a known bank, but I know where it is."

"Can we get in?" I ask.

"Yes but stealing the money will be hard. There's a 20 ton steal door protecting the money. Right now it's not as guarded. At night, that's when it's fully protected." Wow, Kaz really knows his stuff.

"Okay how about a decoy." I suggest.

"I'm up to suggestions."

"What if we put all the guards in one place."

"How?" Mal chimes in. He's been mute for a while. I kinda forgot he was there.

"Good to know your still listening Mal. If we make it look like there's a fire they might all run out the building."