Chapter 11

Alina

So the other summoners and I haven't been talking. It was better that way. I think. They didn't do anything for me so it will continue to be that way. But it was nice to have someone to talk to.

This past week has been lonely. And nerve racking. I can't stop thinking about Aleksander and Louis. Have they been captured? Did they leave? Do they still care about me? Are they dead? Questions filled my mind and I could barely sleep at night. But they're what keep me going. Making sure I find Mal.

I'm close. To finding Mal. I, feel it. Or maybe he knows I'm near and that's how I know. This situation is confusing to me. I need to know who's working for him or at least with him. They are going to be the weaker points and the easier ones to get too. Once I find them, he'll come right along.

I'm heading into town today, which means I'm on high alert. Everyday I try to remember people who Mal might know. Of course Kaz is someone I look for everyday, for he is the one I saw Mal with last. Jesper was with Inej the last time I saw both of them. I know Inej is on my side but Mal could over come her. Zoya was the last person I could think of. I don't think that she came all the way up here. Not with out a reason, she's kinda a known Grisha, she couldn't risk it.

If he's working with anyone else, I wouldn't know. There are many people who hate Grisha, I'm in a country where Grisha are killed. He could tell one person that he's trying to kill me and everyone in this country would hunt me down. But I don't think he wants to kill me. There's something or someone bigger in his plan.

I suddenly began to feel as if someone was watching me. Honestly that's how I've been feeling for a while. But this time it felt more personal, I can't describe it. I look around and then I see someone familiar. He's a man, but I don't know where I've seen him.

Nina. She was a heartrender who Aleksander used to talk about. I saw her on the boat Mal and I went on. When we went on the boat I saw her talking to a man, I don't remember his name. But that's who's staring at me. That man she was talking too.

He's not Grisha, there's no way. But he's also not a Ravkan soldier. So with process of elimination he must be Fjerdan. That's not surprising, he's death staring me. Or he could just be watching me carefully. I don't know, it could be both.

I want to push my limits by going over and talking to him. Maybe he could hint something to me. Or tell me where to find Mal. But before I start walking, he does before me. Instead of walking away, he walks to me.

When I start walking to him he stops. When I stop he starts. Maybe he thinks it looks suspicious if we both walk to each other. He's walking slow but if I run to him that will draw attention.

After a while he finally gets to me. "Where is he?" I ask right off the back.

"Hi I'm Matthias, nice to meet you."

"Sorry, but I'm.........worried. About him. What is he doing?"

"Walk with me."

"Okay?" It was weird he asked me to walk with him. It was like he was reading off some imaginary script.

"You concerned, you say?"

"Yes. He's my best friend why wouldn't I be?"

"So how did you know where to find him?"

"Well I haven't found him yet. But somehow, I just knew. You know? When you have such a strong connection with someone, you know where they are."

"Yes, I actually do."

"Tell me about her. What's her name?"

"What are you talking about?"

"This person. You have a connection with, I can tell you love her. What's her name?"