Chapter 5

Alina

When I wake up there's a burn in my eyes from the sun. What time is it? I think to myself. It must of been at least 10.

I turn to my left because that's where Aleksander was. But he wasn't. He wasn't there. I go to get up but I'm chained to the bed. He didn't do this, did he? No. What he said yesterday that was all true. This couldn't have been him.

"So, what happened between the two of you? Hmm." Zoya. She was in the bathroom last night unconscious, she must've woken up and saw us.

"What I had to do to protect myself," I lie, "he started getting all soft so I assumed he had feelings for me. I was right of course. You were in the bathroom so I knew you'd wake up at some point and get me out of here but not do this." That's believable right?

"Hmmm. I don't buy it. He did something to you didn't he. Threaten you?"

"Well yes and no. He said he had to kill me but didn't justify why, but then he became...... I don't know. Romantic?"

"Okay. Fine. I believe you. Now, we have to go find your friends." Friends? Did I ever tell her that I was staying with the crows? I probably did and I just don't remember. She has proven her trust to me, I shouldn't question it.

"Yeah, we separated right now. I think Mal and Kaz are in jail and Inej, Jesper, and Nina are at the pub."

"Who's Nina?"

"She's a heartrender. The crows met her on the boat we took here."

"And how did Mal and Kaz get in jail."

"We tried to rob a bank. And well the Darkling kidnapped me, Mal and Kaz got caught I think."

"You think?"

"Well I'm not 100% sure. Yesterday I escaped the Darkling's hold and went to this pub next door. 3 guards came in and were talking about 2 boys who tried to rob the bank. That's when the Darkling found me and took me back here."

"And you didn't try and bring me with you?"

"I couldn't, you were unconscious for saints know how much longer for. I was going to come back when I could bring help, I promise I was. Anyways there was nothing I could do against the Darkling. With you awake, I had another Grisha to help."

"Are you sure it's not because I don't like you much so you thought that I wasn't worth saving?"

"No. Not at all. Everyone is worth saving, despite who they are."

"Everyone except the Darking."

"Yeah. Of course," I laugh. I didn't mean anything I've been saying and it hurt to say, "speaking of him. Where did you put him?"

"In the bathroom like he did me. What do you think, should we kill him now or wait?"

"Wait. If we do it now, he won't suffer. We need him to pay for what he's done." I've never wanted to cry more in my life then this moment right now.

"Oooo, ok Alina. I like your style."

"Believe me, the things I want to do to him." That wasn't a lie. There was lots of things I want to do to him. But I can't, not now.

"Like what?"

"The opposite of what he did to everyone. Instead of hurting them in the dark, he's gonna burn. At my hand." I would never in a million years hurt him.

"I want to be there to see it. But now we must hurry. We have to get Mal and Kaz out of jail. But how?"

"I think Inej could help with that."