Sparks Fly

"I feel like I could've helped him..." Larry said with a tone of sadness in his voice.

Steve hung up his jacket by the door and placed the Chinese food he got for Larry onto the coffee table. His expression was sympathetic. That comforted Larry, who was pulled into a fluffy hug.

"He wanted me to hit him...." He hugged back.

"I know. I heard." Steve's voice vibrated through Larry's ears. He buried his face into the older's shoulder.

"God, everything is just so complicated...."

"Tell me about it, Larry. It's like everything has it out for us, you know?" Steve's cloud particles were floating behind him delicately now, and the smell of flowers hit Larry's nose.

"You smell nice." He blurted out, not thinking. Larry tensed up, but Steve just chuckled at him. His smile was wide.

"Thanks. It's my natural scent."

Larry hummed and pulled away from the hug, a nervous smile on his face. Steve's smile didn't change. It was just as enthusiastic as always.

"So uh, you feeling okay enough to watch a movie or something? While we eat?"

Larry perked up at that, and suddenly, he wasn't nervous anymore, "Sure, I'd love to. You got a movie in mind?"

"No, I was thinking you did." Steve shrugged.

"Well, what movies do you like? Maybe we like the same ones?"

"Um, okay. I like Pineapple Express, Stepbrothers, Tammy, Happy Gilmore—"

"Happy Gilmore? I love that movie!"

"Well then, I guess we got something to watch."

————————————————————-

"You're gonna die, clown!" Steve and Larry said in unison as the character in the movie did. They both looked at each other in awe for a moment before laughing hysterically.

"That was perfect!" Steve wheezed as he reached for his water bottle. Larry did the same, but burst out laughing again when the bottle was up to his mouth.

Water was sprayed all over Steve and the laughter only grew from there.

"Aw dude, that's sick!"

"I'm sorry!" Larry managed to get out through a fit of giggles.

They continued watching the movie after Larry hilariously almost choked on more of his water.

Steve couldn't stop smiling when Larry kept telling him that no matter how many times he watched the movie, it never stopped being funny.

Larry was happy.

It was at one point during the movie that Steve noticed Larry's head resting on his shoulder. It didn't bother him though. Instead, the guidance counselor just casually wrapped an arm around him, and continued watching the screen.

It was dark in the room, so he couldn't see the bright cherry blush spreading across Larry's face. Nor could Larry see it on Steve's.

They stayed like that for a while, occasionally glancing at each other to see if they were bothered by their position.

They were not.

In fact, Larry's body was closer to Steve's than it was when the movie started. A lot closer. But again, they weren't complaining.

Though Larry was kinda fidgety.

"Hey, you okay?" Steve asked softly, massaging his fingers into his friend's neck.

"Yeah....just thinking."

"Oh?" Steve turned to him, "What about?"

Larry shook his head and turned away, "......nothing, forget it. Let's just watch the movie."

"No no, now you've got me thinkin'. What's on your mind, Needlemeyer?"

"It's stupid. You don't want to hear about it."

Steve reached over to the end table and grabbed the remote. He paused the movie and looked back over at Larry, who was irritated by the sudden silence.

"Steve, can we not do this, please?" He finally sighed when he met Steve's eyes. "I already have a headache. I really don't want to add to it."

"Hey man, I just want to talk."

"We are talking."

"Larry." Now the mom voice came out.

"Alright, fine. I was...thinking about you."

Steve looked confused, "What about me?"

Larry was definitely nervous now. He started messing with the loose threads of the blanket he was covered up with, "I was thinking a-about how um...how cute you are. How cute this is." He motioned towards their sitting arrangement.

Steve's blush came back, "Really? I'm cute?" A confident chuckle, "I don't know how you can call me that when you're clearly the only cute one here."

"I-I'm not cute."

"Sure you are. You're cute and funny, and....." Steve trailed off nervously when Larry looked over at him again with an anxious expression. He didn't want to do anything to make Larry uncomfortable. Especially since he was three inches from his face.

But Larry continued for him, "And a hard worker? Is that what you were gonna say? Because some people would disagree with you."

Steve smiled, "Well...those people aren't here." And just like that, he closed the small gap in between them and his lips were against the younger man's.

Larry's heart nearly jumped out of his chest in that moment, but he didn't hesitate to kiss Steve back.

Yeah, maybe this was all too soon, but after the week Larry had, he didn't give a shit about anything else.

The two of them were only focused on each other, kissing like their lives were about to end.

Eventually, they did have to pull away so they could breathe—and the looks in their eyes were completely crazed.

"Wow!" Steve laughed, "Holy shit!"

Then Larry started laughing, "Oh my God, did you just swear?!"