By Your Side

"Steve, I'm fine enough to drive. You don't have to do it for me." Larry groaned as Steve made him switch seats. The cloud scoffed and pointed at the guardrail the car was next to.

"You dented the rail, Needlemeyer. Probably trashed your car too." Steve replied, turning the key in the ignition. The car hummed as it started, giving the exhausted male a brief moment of warmth before he started shivering again.

Steve noticed this and looked over at Larry. "Do you want to wear my jacket?" he asked, not giving the rock a chance to answer before he started removing the article of clothing. Larry stopped him and sat up slowly. "Steve, you're showing a lot of kindness to someone you just met."

"Well I can't just sit here and watch you freeze." Steve replied as he continued to remove his jacket. "You need this more than I do."

"I don't want you to feel like you have to take care of me."

"I know I don't have to. I want to. You're putting a roof over my head, so I want to help you now."

Larry sighed and put on the offered purple jacket. It smelled like flowers and rain, which was odd given the current weather. The jacket was a little big, but Larry didn't care.

"Keep it. You look really good in purple." Steve complimented.

~=~=~=~~=~=~=~~=~=~=~

"I called your boss. Told him you needed some time off." Steve said, putting Larry's phone on the coffee table. Larry sighed as he felt a warm cloth being placed on his forehead.

"Lay back a bit more so this will stay."

Larry didn't argue. He laid back against the arm of the couch and let the cloth rest once again on his forehead. Steve smiled as the rock closed his eyes.

"Steve?"

"Yeah?"

"Thank you for helping me. You're a great guy."

"Don't mention it, pal. Just try to get some rest, okay? We'll talk more tomorrow."