The First Week

FRIDAY, JUNE 30, 2017, 9:43 AM

"Hi, you've reached Chris. I'm currently unable to take your call. Please leave a message and I'll get back to you whenever I can. Thank you."

BEEP.

"Hey, it's me. Are you okay? You haven't been answering any of my calls or texts. What happened out there? It's not like you to go silent like this. Please call me when you get the chance. I'm starting to get a little nervous about this whole thing. Talk to you later."

END OF MESSAGE.

____________________________________________________________

The Phillips' first week in their new house was largely uneventful and their adjustments toward their new environment varied. Olivia was ecstatic about nearly everything: the park down the street, a tree a couple of houses over that looked like a giraffe, the stray cat who wandered in and out of their yard on a daily basis. Everything was a new adventure for her, which she gladly reported to all of her family. However, there was no subject that was rambled on about more than the boy next door, with whom she played with every day. They played anything that popped into her mind, whether it was a simple game of hide-and-seek to a role-playing game of being adventurers fighting for their lives in the Amazon. Emma expressed concern over some of their games for being too rough for the partially-crippled boy, but Cameron assured her that it didn't bother him at all and he loved playing with her, which made Olivia's eyes glow brightly in joy.

Kendall found himself spending most of his time inside or in the backyard, trying to keep away from all of the noise going on elsewhere in the house and bury himself in his reading and discoveries. He found out that their new house contained 60-watt filament light bulbs in the dining room and hallways, giving the rooms a much brighter appearance than what he was used to. He heard from somewhere that they were the bulbs of the future, that they were supposed to be more energy-efficient or something. He decided that he would keep his eyes open for any books or online articles on the subject.

So far, he'd made the backyard his safe haven for reading and observing the surrounding yards. He noticed that the neighbors opposite of the Wildes had automatic lights and sprinklers in their backyard. He gazed in amazement as the sprinkler heads rose up out of the ground, gave the grass and plants a good soaking, and then disappeared back to their secret depths. He wondered what made them work like that, how they received signals from whatever source told them when to activate, how durable such a fragile connection would be in the rain. Of course, that would have to wait for another day, for there was something else that had grabbed his attention.

Josh was having the hardest time adjusting to this new life. Every day, he would barricade himself in his bedroom with his stereo on and his phone never leaving his hand except when he needed to go to the bathroom. Aside from eating meals, none of the others saw him that much, which prompted his parents to sit down one night after dinner and have a small talk about him.

"All he cares about are his friends and girlfriend back home," said Emma. "If we don't do something, he may one day decide to hitchhike his way back up to Minnesota. He needs a push to let him know that we're serious about this being our new life...and about his future."

"I know," said Richard. "And I think I have a solution in mind."

Richard hadn't just been relocated, he'd been promoted at work. Being a stockbroker, his work in the financial sector was critical, especially since things had taken a lousy turn as of late. His boss back home had made the decision that it was time to take action, hence the move to his company's main headquarters in St. Louis. Thanks to the promotion, Richard was now a leader of a new team of recruits. Though his first few days were definitely different than what he was used to, he had hopes for the benefits his new position would bring him.