Past & Present

WEDNESDAY, JULY 5, 2017, 7:46 AM

"Hi, you've reached Chris. I'm currently unable to take your call. Please leave a message and I'll get back to you whenever I can. Thank you."

BEEP.

"Hey, what's going on? You said you'd call me last night to fill me in on how it went. You know I hate assuming the worst, but all this silence coming from you lately is really starting to disturb me. This isn't like you at all. Please give me a call when you can. I'll be watching my phone."

END OF MESSAGE.

___________________________________________________________

"Okay," said Jack, sipping the coffee that Richard had made for him. "Let's take this again from the top. Your friend first disappeared when?"

"While we were in the room with the indoor playground," said Kendall. "He lost his cane and went off to find it."

"And when did you go looking for him?" asked Jack.

"Right after," said Kendall. "We couldn't find him anywhere, though, so we checked up by the lost-and-found and he wasn't there."

Jack nodded, scribbling something down on a small notepad. "Go on."

"So we sat down on the bench up front while Josh went to go find his boss, and then we..."

He trailed off. This was the part where he saw the mysterious figure again, and when he and Olivia both felt that uncomfortable chill in the air. Should I tell them? Would they believe it?

Jack was sitting in his chair, pencil frozen in hand as he waited for the rest of the story. "Yes?"

Kendall glanced nervously to his parents, who were both meeting his gaze, clearly as interested in the report as Jack was. Emma's eyes were wet but firm. He looked at his older brother. Josh was hesitant, too, but nodded.

"There was this...thing...that we saw. A black thing."

"What kind of black thing?" asked Jack, continuing to scribble notes.

"Well, it was dressed in a black cloak, but I don't think it was actually black underneath."

"Why do you say that?"

"Because its face was white."

"How do you know it wasn't just a person?"

"Because it had a mouth that looked like it was painted on."

"Could it have been a party mask?"

Kendall shook his head. "It also had one eye that was glowing."

"Okay," said Jack, reluctantly adding the note. "And you saw this, too?" he asked Josh.

Josh nodded. "Yeah. He's right. I...I don't know what it was, but it definitely wasn't human."

Jack sighed as he studied the notes he had just written. He hated whenever controversial things like this came up, but it was his job to write everything down and then sort it out later. With two witnesses, both clearly beyond the stage of childhood fantasies, reporting it, he had to investigate it. He turned to Olivia.

"Did you see this thing, too, honey?" he asked her calmly.

Olivia's face remained buried in her mother's shirt for a few seconds, but she nodded.

Jack's mouth curled. "Tell me more about this Chris Everett," he said.

"From what I hear, he's always been a shady guy," said Josh. "Everyone felt nervous around him."