Visions in the Night

THURSDAY, JULY 6, 2017, 12:06 AM

"Hi, you've reached Chris. I'm sorry I missed your call. Please leave a message and I'll get back to you as soon as I can. Thank you."

"AT THE TONE, PLEASE RECORD YOUR MESSAGE. WHEN YOU'VE FINISHED RECORDING, YOU MAY HANG UP OR PRESS 1 FOR MORE OPTIONS."

BEEP.

"Hey, it's me. I got your text. Are you serious? Things went that bad? What happened? Did someone get killed? Please call or text me when you get a chance. Actually, no. Give me a call. We really need to talk this over, and I need to actually hear your voice. I'm tired of sitting around at my desk all day, wearing a happy face for everyone and trying to act calm while waiting for an update. In fact, I'm honestly getting close to coming down there to see things for myself. Please call me, Chris. I'm getting more worried by the minute that everything's gonna go wrong again. Seriously, that awful gut feeling I told you about that I haven't felt in almost twenty years? It's coming back. Talk to you later."

END OF MESSAGE.

___________________________________________________________

Josh was sitting at one of the tables in the break room of the restaurant, eating a delicious pizza. Once things had finally calmed down and the restaurant had reopened, everything returned to normal, or at least as normal as could be. His first shift for the day had gone very smoothly and was completely uneventful, so much so that he honestly couldn't even remember it. All he could think about right now was the slice of pizza he was eating, which apparently was so good that it had numbed his taste buds. Things were well.

The door opened and Susan burst in. She was dressed in a wet raincoat and her hair was a wet, disheveled mess. Her breathing was sporadic and her eyes were wild.

"Susan?" he asked, standing up. "What...what's going on?"

"It's after me!" she cried. "It's after me!"

"Who?" he asked as she dove under one of the tables. He walked over to her. "Who's after you?"

A hand grabbed his shoulder and forcefully spun him around. With no time to react, he found himself staring into the glowing eye of the creature. Its mouth, though still painted on, had additional red lines which looked like blood. Its eye was so bright that he felt blinded by it. The grip on his shoulder tightened, preventing him from moving, and the unblinking grew brighter with every passing moment.

Suddenly, out of nowhere, something small came sailing into view and hit the creature squarely in the face, causing it to double back and release its grip.

"Leave him alone!" cried Susan. Josh turned and saw her motioning for him to follow. "Josh, come on!"

They ran out of the room and into the main room. It was empty. Even the animatronics were gone, leaving the stage completely deserted.

"What-what happened here?"

"We have to go!" cried Susan as they heard the stamping of footsteps behind them.

They ran across the room, trying to put as much distance between them and their hunter as possible. Susan approached the door to the backroom and flung it open.

"Come on!" she cried, gesturing him forward.

He wanted to protest, feeling uneasy about reentering the area where everything went to hell earlier, but the pounding behind him left him no other choice.