Miracle or Murderous?

THURSDAY, JULY 6, 2017, 3:27 AM

"You have no new messages."

___________________________________________________________

Kendall ran back into the main room, nearly tripping over himself as he ran.

"Is it still after us?" he called back, hoping to hear a solid no, but nothing came. With eyes wide, he turned and saw that his sister was nowhere in sight. "'Liv?" he called out, hoping to see and hear her emerging from the room they had just left, but nothing. He took a step toward the room when a nearby door opened. Thinking and moving quicker than he ever had before, he dove underneath one of the nearby standing tables, moving as far back as possible to keep himself hidden in the shadow.

Emerging from the door to the back room were two adults dressed in lab coats. Even in the low light, Kendall immediately recognized them from the other day and the pictures he'd glimpsed in the office: they were the managers...both of them.

What? But I thought the one was-

"I'm still concerned," said Rebecca. "Children are much more agile than adults, especially these days."

"Relax, 'Becca," said Derek, waving a dismissive hand at her. "Those kids aren't smart enough to know how to get out. Besides, what we should be worried about are the other two."

"Chris and Josh?"

Derek nodded.

"I don't know. We already have some blood on our hands with the other kid with the cane, thanks to our witnesses. I don't want to add two more bodies to the mix. Besides, Josh is a good boy. I think we may still find a place for him in our operation."

"I wouldn't count on it."

"You don't think he'll be useful?" Rebecca asked.

"I'm having my doubts," said Derek. "Children are much easier to manipulate. Will knew that well. Those other two will just be a nuisance to us, especially Chris. All it takes is one wrong move for them to capitalize on and boom...they'll be out of here quicker than you can blink."

Rebecca thought about it for a moment, and nodded. "Yes, I suppose you're right. It's a pity about Josh. I really liked him."

"I did, too," said Derek, "but like you told him, he made a mistake coming here tonight. That's the problem with a world focused on ethics and morality. No one wants to make the sacrifice, even though it's necessary for the betterment of mankind. I just don't see either of them realizing that, and so...for the sake of our operation, we cannot allow them to leave."

"Absolutely," said Rebecca. "And with Chris being a wanted man, we have our perfect fall guy for both of them: one last murder followed by a suicide, all in one place."

Kendall's hand flew to his mouth to prevent himself from audibly gasping. It's them! They're the kidnappers! And they're going to kill Josh!

"Murder and suicide?" said Derek. "Not exactly an improvement for our restaurant's image."

"Well, our wandering eyewitnesses prevented the last phase from going as smoothly as it should have, so why bother? Besides, since when have we been the restaurant-manager type, anyway?" replied Rebecca, and they both laughed. "Well, I'm going to the security room to see if our little party-crashers will show up on the cameras."

"I'll be right with you," said Derek. "I need to grab something from my office."

They split up. Derek strode over to the front hallway while Rebecca disappeared back into the back area. Both doors were tightly shut behind them. Slowly, Kendall emerged from underneath the table.