Flames of Life & Death

THURSDAY, JULY 6, 2017, 3:46 AM

"Hi, you've reached Chris. I'm sorry I missed your call. Please leave a message and I'll get back to you as soon as I can. Thank you."

"AT THE TONE, PLEASE RECORD YOUR MESSAGE. WHEN YOU'VE FINISHED RECORDING, YOU MAY HANG UP OR PRESS 1 FOR MORE OPTIONS."

BEEP.

"I thought I'd try you one last time. Wasn't really expecting an answer at this point, but I figured I'd give it a shot. I just touched down in St. Louis, so I'll be there real soon. See you in a few."

END OF MESSAGE.

____________________________________________________________

As Jack pulled into the parking lot, he and the Phillips were immediately greeted by Richard's car parked right in front. Richard huffed.

"He'd better not have scratched the sides."

They parked nearby and began walking over to the building.

"So what's going on?" asked Emma, growing increasingly worried upon seeing the presence of their car which also confirmed the presence of their children.

"I've been doing some deep digging," explained Jack, "and frankly, I don't think Mr. Everett is the real mastermind behind all of this."

Emma and Richard looked at each other.

"But the news..." said Richard.

"I know what the news says," said Jack, "but I think I've uncovered evidence which states otherwise."

"What do you mean?" asked Emma, her panic beginning to rise.

"I think this may be an inside job."

"Inside job?" said Richard. "As in-?"

"The managers," said Jack.

"The managers?!" said Emma. She was certain she was mishearing. "What do you-?"

But then it hit her. She remembered seeing news clippings and TV reports concerning William Afton being the prime suspect of the disappearances at Freddy's. It had all made sense to her as she got older: whoever kidnapped Cassidy had displayed a rather unusual knowledge of the restaurant's inner workings. The only explanation was that it was an inside job. Her breathing became erratic as the sense of deja vu washed over her.

"We need to get inside!" she insisted.

Jack opened his mouth to respond, but was interrupted by the sudden sound of a metal gate just beyond the doors slamming to the ground, accompanied by the sound of a blaring horn.

"What's going on?" Richard shouted over the noise.

"Someone's just activated the security system from the inside!" Jack responded.

"Security system?"

"Yes. It's meant to prevent any animatronics from escaping while in free-roam mode, but it also means that nobody can get in or out."

Fear rising deep within her, Emma began to sprint toward the building.

"Emma, no!" cried Jack as he reached out and grabbed her, holding her back.

"Our children are inside!" she screamed, glaring at him.

"And there's no way in hell we're leaving them!" Richard added, sounding like he was battling his own urge to follow his wife's impulse.

"I know, I know!" said Jack, desperately trying to calm them down. "I have no idea what set off the security system, but it's disabled public access. That's how it works. I looked at blueprints during the investigation. We have to wait for the police to arrive and lift it; they're the only ones on the outside who have access and authority to do so."