The First Look

SATURDAY, JULY 1, 2017, 8:37 AM

"You have no new messages."

___________________________________________________________

As the car pulled into the parking lot of Freddy Fazbear's Pizza World, a stone of anxiety fell in Josh's stomach. For the past twenty-four hours, he'd felt nothing but anger and betrayal for being forced to get a job against his will. After all, he had so many more important things to do...like sleeping and talking to his friends on social media. It wasn't like he even needed the money right now, anyway, since his parents still paid for everything for him. But now, as he sat in the passenger seat looking up at the building looming over him, covered with tinted glass windows, it finally occurred to him how much of a big step this was out of his comfort zone. It seemed like such a simple concept: you go to work, do whatever you're told for eight hours or so, and then come home, getting paid every week. But still, he found himself thinking back to a story one of his friends back home once told him about working in a video store with long hours and little breaks. He hoped this wasn't going to be a similar experience. That would take his parents' cruelty to a brand new level.

"Ready?" Richard asked, noticing his son's silent stare.

"I guess."

"Relax. Just be polite, upfront, and honest, but not about your interests! They don't need to know about your hobbies of staying in your room playing on your phone all day."

"Sure. Whatever."

He got out, slamming the door a little harder than he meant to. He looked back at his father one last time, who gave him a small nod of assurance before driving away.

Josh approached the main entrance and gazed up at the building's massive exterior. Even up close, the windows were tinted so much that they were black and reflective of nearly everything in their range. The neon sign, though not as bright in the sun, was on. The face of a bear stared back down at him, its purple eyes bright and almost reminiscent. With a final breath of motivation, he entered.

Upon crossing the threshold, he was immediately struck by two complete changes in the atmosphere. One was that the intense summer heat was replaced by a burst of refreshingly cool air, one that he found to be most pleasant. The other was the tolerable sound of traffic replaced by the nearly deafening sound of music and screaming children from ahead. He looked around. He was standing in what looked like a lobby, with seats lining the walls, though nobody sat in them. There were a few plants in the corners of the room, each standing about four feet tall. Placed near the couches were a few small wooden tables.

There was a desk with a young man around his age sitting, obviously in charge of reservations and whatnot. Josh approached him and he looked up from his work.

"Can I help you?" he asked in a bored voice, which gave Josh no reassurance about his own future job.

"My name's Josh Phillips. I'm here for an interview."

The man stared at him blankly for a few moments before checking his computer. Not wanting to stare back, Josh moved his gaze around the room a little more. There was a TV on the wall above them, showing that stupid cartoon show that Olivia always loved watching. Slightly beneath that was a large picture showing the opening day of the restaurant, with a man and a woman waving to the camera as they cut the ribbon in front of the restaurant. Staring at it, he wondered what they were like. Would they be super friendly to the point of being annoying or authoritarians who were too concerned with their management to care about employees. He didn't really want either.

The young man's voice brought him back to reality.

"I'm sorry?"

"Ms. Swift is expecting you. Go right in."