Chapter 44

The space between the edge of the loading dock and the doors was about a foot wide

The space between the edge of the loading dock and the doors was about a foot wide. It was enough for Ren to balance his right foot on the ledge and his left on the top of the ladder. Ashton was forced to stay on the ladder, his hands on the same bar as Ren's left foot. It was an awkward stance, but Ren had been in more awkward situations.

He rested his hand on the brick wall. He had thought about testing his weight against the doors, but decided not to in case the doors weren't reinforced.

The last time he'd been here was over a year ago. He couldn't quite remember how long it had been. He hadn't been really thinking about it at all, but it was long enough that he couldn't quite remember. However, he did remember climbing this very ladder all the time. The rowdiest of the drugged up humans took the front of the building for themselves and forced the druggies that weren't willing to fight over a falling apart building to the back.

It wasn't one of his most proud memories. Sneaking out to deal hadn't ever been something he was hoping to put on a resume. He did it because it beat letting his mom sink under bills and work herself to death for a child that wasn't her fault at all.

Ren slowly leaned forward. He leaned all his weight onto his right leg and poked his head above the bottom of the small window in the first door. While the door was new, they hadn't tinted the windows like all the others. It might have seemed like a small oversight, but it was just what Ren needed to be able to see into the back of the building.

Ashton had been right. They hadn't changed much of anything. In the back anyways.

The back was mostly a large area where shipments were dropped off and sorted. There was a small cubby room to the left that had once stored trash bins and sanitary items. To the right was a large elevator shaft that had been rebuilt. Before it had been nothing but a shaft, the elevator ripped apart to tell for parts.

That was as far as Ren could see from where he was. He pulled away.

"I don't see anyone." He decided to leave out the fact that Ashton had been right. He didn't need his ego boosted right at the moment.

Ren's hand hovered over the handle. He took a deep and steady breath.

Then, he pulled the door open.

The door was a lot heavier than the last set. That might have been due to the fact that the other ones had been deteriorating for over two decades. He used most of his strength to haul it open, thankful that the hinges were new enough that they didn't squeak to the high heavens.

That would be his fucking luck. Found out because some stupid hinges were rusty.

He didn't want to hang out there with the door open for too long. He looked back at Ashton and jerked his head toward the open door, signaling for him to follow him. Ashton gave a small nod back. As Ren heaved himself inside, holding the door firmly so it didn't slam shut, he focused on not making a single noise.