Chapter 50

Chapter 50

"Fucking hell."

Ashton—for the fourth time—tugged at his shirt. He looked down at it in disgust again.

Ren shook his head. "No matter how many times you gripe about it, it's not going to suddenly become clean."

"Did I ask for your input?" Ashton rolled a look over at him. His glare was almost cute this time.

"Do I need to ask your permission to speak?"

When Ashton didn't answer, instead, mumbling under his breath while he fidgeted in his ruined clothes, Ren grinned. He smiled as Ashton picked up the pace and marched forward to the familiar path that appeared in front of them.

He didn't expect it to be easy to forget for a few minutes that their lives were on the line. But when Ashton wasn't paying attention to him anymore, all the realities he was avoiding came crashing on him.

He was starting to recede back into his thoughts when he heard something.

"Did you—"

The words weren't even completely out of his mouth before Ashton slammed his arm into his chest, knocking him off his feet. He plummeted toward the ground at an awkward angle. His elbow hit first, protecting the gun just in case his bad luck decided to strike and set the thing off on impact. He seethed as the sharp pain shot through his arm and up toward his shoulder.

The second that it took for him to crash to the floor was enough for Ashton to take a stance in front of him, blocking whatever or whoever had found them.

"Where's the gun?"

Ren's heart went cold.

He scrambled back from where Ashton was shielding him. He'd been caught between Ashton's spread legs and as he got out from under the protection, he saw the two familiar figures that were blocking their path.

Darrien pointed the same type of guns the Hunters' used at Ashton. Ren almost expected Regan to be right behind him, but he wasn't.

He was alone.

Ashton held his hands up. It wasn't a surrender. It was a graceful and somewhat sarcastic gesture. As if Darrien had barged in on Ashton's afternoon party and was embarrassing himself.

"I think we should talk about this," Ashton said in a concerning calm voice.

Ren felt the second Ashton started using his powers. It was satisfying release of power. Almost as if he'd been full of it and letting go just a little bit of it had released tension.

Darrien's eyes locked onto Ashton's. Ren was sure that it had worked.

Darrien blinked and his lips turned down into a frown. "I'm not stupid. I'm not going to walk around with vamps with no protection."

Ashton stopped trying to use his power. He was just as confused as Ren was.

Darrien looked down at Ren. "You have it, don't you? Toss it over."

Ren stared back at Darrien's grim face. He couldn't believe that he actually started to think this guy was anything other than a conniving backstabber. But as much as Ren tried to see Darrien as nothing more than a bloodthirsty Hunter, he couldn't. His vision was blurred by how nice Darrien had seem when they first met.

How he hadn't been entirely mean when he found out that Ren was part vampire.

It was his own hope that was washing away the true colors of Darrien. While it might have seemed like Darrien was trying to pull himself out of the close-minded brainwashing he'd grown up in, it really was just a ruse to get Ren to trust him.