Chapter 52

Chapter 52

Ren's eyes drifted down Ashton's back and settled on his butt for a second too long. He covered a cough, turning his burning face to the side to pretend that he was actually scoping out the place rather than ogling.

It was exactly the same as it had been when they'd been here yesterday. They found their way easily from memory though the halls. It wasn't that much of a maze like it had been out to be last time. It really did help that they'd been here before. And it was also nice to know that they had someone on the inside working for them.

Well, that's what Darrien agreed to be. There was no guarantee that he was going to go through with his end of the bargain. Especially not when they'd threatened to put a hole in his skull.

Ren grimaced as he thought about actually pulling the trigger. He didn't want to do that. He never wanted to do that. But if push came to shove, he would make sure that the people on the winning side weren't the Hunter Society. Even if that meant taking out one small piece of the puzzle.

Something unsettling gave way inside of him. The thing loved the idea of destroying "pieces" too much. He didn't like that that thought had slipped inside his mind so easily.

They came to a corner that lead to a hall that they'd never been down. Ashton stopped a couple feet before the corner. Ren stood by, looking around to make sure no one was coming.

Voices trailed from down the unknown hall. From the noise, there were a lot of people. If there were people walking around keeping guard, Ren wouldn't know because he couldn't hear over the chatter. It was actually a really good thing that Ashton was here. As much as he was an annoyance, he was actually better at everything than Ren was.

"What's going on?" Ren whispered.

Ashton shook his head as he leaned closer. He was quiet for a moment before he pulled away and looked back at Ren.

"They're talking about the news. They want the murders to go national," Ashton said. His voice died at the end. His attention was stolen and he focused back on the voices.

Ren wished that he could hear as well what was going on. He grabbed Ashton's arm, holding on tight as he waited for him to say more.

Ashton didn't push him off like he thought he would. Instead, he seemed to relax into Ren's hold.

"They've got someone on the inside. Something about supporters everywhere."

Ren bit his lip. "Anything else?"

"Someone else is getting up to talk. I can't make out much more. They've gone on a break or something. They're talking over one another."

Ashton pulled away and leaned against the wall. "Do you think Darrien is in there?"

Ren shrugged. "I have no idea. We can head to the offices. There's a chance that no one is there."

Ashton furrowed his brows. "I just don't get why they are acting so calm when we breached them. Surely, they would be swarming all over the place after that happened."

That puzzled Ren as well. "Maybe they don't think we'd come back? I mean, that's idiotic after almost getting killed, right?"

He couldn't think of a better reason as to why they were all in one room. They had to think that they weren't in any danger or else they would have been more pressed for security.

Ashton backed up. "Someone's coming."

They both hurried down the hall as fast as they could and as quiet as they could. There wasn't anywhere to hide until they stumbled upon what looked like a storage closet. Ren didn't think as he cracked the door open and moved inside. Ashton squeezed in next to him and closed the door.