Chapter 24

Ren felt his heart drop to the pit of his stomach

Ren felt his heart drop to the pit of his stomach. He swallowed down sour reflex and clenched his fists so hard that he was on the verge of pulling a muscle.

He didn't know what he was expecting when he heard about the gathering that was going to happen at the city hall. It surely wasn't this. He didn't know there were so many supporters of the Hunter Society. When people talk about the HS now, they talked about it like it was thousands of years ago. It was a community that was even condemned by the Reginae government.

Well, that was until now.

"Firstly, I'd like to thank everyone for coming." A round of applause and whistles erupted.

Ren could only see the back of the man. He was average height, not too tall, but with the nice black suit he was wearing, he looked taller. He seemed like he loomed over everyone else, even those that were on stage with him.

Ren's gut clenched as he looked at the awaiting faces in the crowd. He saw people that he knew. From school, people that he saw frequently everyday, standing in the crowd with huge grins on their faces like they had won some prize or something. Or that they were part of a revolution that was going to change everything.

He was sick as he thought that that they might actually think that. They saw vampires as pests, as monsters that were ruining their perfect society. Everything that was wrong with their lives was because vampires were ruining everything.

He startled when he thought one of the people in the crowd at looked right at him.

He cursed on his breath.

"Get down," he said while tugging on the sleeve of Ashton's coat.

They crouched down so they were hopefully hidden by any wandering eyes. Maybe it had just been his imagination, but he still had this worrying twist in his gut that someone had seen them.

"I'm sorry that we had to meet under these circumstances." There was a lengthy hush that fell across the growing crowd.

He paused for affect. Ren could see that he was looking out in the crowd, turning his head left and right as if he would be able to meet every single person's eyes at least once. There was something upsetting about the man. Even though Ren hadn't even seen his face, he could just feel that there was something wrong about him.

"As you already know, three young souls were taken away from us. Their families are here with us today to say a few words." He stepped to the side, turning just so that Ren could catch a glimpse of his profile.

His hair was an inky black that fell to just the nape of his neck. It was hard to make anything out besides that he was older—possibly edging close to fifty—and had a slim looking face.

Ren squinted his eyes, hoping to see more of this off-putting man, but then the families of the killed teenagers stepped up with him on the stage that had been set up.