Chapter 33

They couldn't have been the same ones he and Ashton had fought

The blood—the smell of it so vile that just thinking about it now was making him sick—had been everywhere. It had been a battle field. The thick fur under one of his hands and the handle of his blade in his other. The sickening sound of skin being torn through echoed in his ears. The warmth from the blood as it sprayed all over him.

The Hounds were running toward the Hunters. They looked small in the distance, but Ren knew just how big they were. The Hunters were dwarfed in comparison. The thick black hairs of the Hounds stood up. They snarled as they flew through the air.

As if in slow motion, they soared toward the Hunters. There were three of them, lined up in a pack position with one leading and two following.

Just as the Hounds passed the last line of trees that blocked them from a clear shot, the Hunters fired.

The sound of the shots blared in Ren's eardrums. He threw his hands over his ears, too shocked to think about if he'd drawn attention to him and Ashton. The sound pierced him and went through his body. His ears ached as he watched the mayhem erupt down below.

The Hunters kept shooting. The Hounds snarled as blood splattered the forest floor. They halted there, thrashing as if they were trying to fling the bullets off their large bodies.

"Fucking—" Malcolm clicked his gun, but there were no bullets left. He fell behind Kenny and Remy. "Cover me!"

He got no answer as the two continued to rain fire on the Hounds.

Ren's jaw dropped as the Hounds hadn't dropped yet though they had been shot close to a hundred times.

Kenny yipped, jumping when he ran out of bullets. "This is what I'm talking about!"

Malcolm sent him a glare as he cocked his gun and went back to shooting at the Hounds. Kenny kept on grinning as he reloaded his gun.

Remy was the only one who looked unfazed by the impressive show the Hounds were giving. She had more than one gun and was flicking between the two like she was flinging Pez candy. She reloaded them two more times and emptied the magazines before she fell back behind the other two men.

She was sweating. She wiped his forehead with the back of her hand.

"This isn't working!" She yelled at the men's backs. "It's not enough!"

The men ignored her. They kept shooting.

The Hounds were creeping closer. They were a bloody mess, but as the Hunters started to lose their rapid speed of fire, the Hounds were starting to get use to the constant pain.

The one in the front opened its large jaw and growled so loud that the ground shook. The trees shivered and Ren could feel the rumble all the way to where he was crouching.