Chapter 47

Ren couldn't breathe

Ren couldn't breathe. He sucked in air over and over, but it was disappearing before it made it to his lungs. He gasped as he gripped Ashton tightly to his side. Ashton's arm that was slung over Ren's neck was weak, barely holding onto Ren as Ren dragged Ashton across the ground. Ren's feet wasn't doing much better. They were sore as if he'd been walking for hours and his ankles were giving away under the pressure every other step.

But they were getting away. They weren't at the mercy of the Hunters. At least, not right then. He knew that this wasn't going to be the last time they saw each other. When they came out of hiding in the forest, the world that they once knew wasn't going to be the same.

Ren wasn't prepared for it.

The crying of the siren had lessened. The deafening sound was wailing in the background. His feet dragged over the wet soil and it was hard to pick them up so that he didn't fall face first into the dirt. The ringing in his ears was a combination of the siren and his own fear that he'd dug them further into a hole. But he pushed all those thoughts away. He couldn't think about them right then.

He looked down at Ashton. Ashton's face was whiter than usual. It was stark white, sickly white, and it made Ren's stomach turn with how bad it looked. His chest felt heavy as he noticed the beads of sweat dripping down Ashton's face. His lips were parted as he panted. His eyes were squeezed shut as if that was enough to block out the pain.

"Hang on, okay? I'm not going to leave you." It was difficult to get the words out. He didn't want to lie. Not right now.

He knew how bad it felt to be told that things were going to be alright when they actually didn't. He couldn't do that to Ashton. Even if Ashton might not have done the same for him.

Ashton's weak hands grabbed tightly to Ren. Ren jolted as one hand clasped his neck. It didn't hurt, but it was a pressure to his neck that he wasn't comfortable with. He grabbed the offending hand, holding onto the wrist so that Ashton couldn't move it any further.

Still, with Ashton's eyes closed, he kept his hand there.

"Let go, Ashton," Ren whispered.

He hadn't stopped walking. He couldn't. The Hunters could still be coming after them. It would take over a fraction of a second for them to get ahead and to find them. He needed to keep moving no matter what happened.

Ashton did drop his hand. It slid down Ren's neck, down his chest, and fell away to Ashton's side. Ren didn't know what had happened. He wasn't going to push it further though. He merely held Ashton as hard as he could and walked faster. There was a burst in his step. He couldn't feel the thing, but he was sure that it had something to do with it.

What he did back there couldn't have been possibly all him. The thing had driven him to do something so reckless that it could have gotten both of them killed. He hadn't been thinking and that was the problem with him. He didn't think anything fucking through and it always lead to him getting into messes like this.