Chapter 11

He came up for air the very second he lost it in the nightmare

His lips parted and he gasped as he scrambled to grab onto the side of the tub. The sudsy water fell down his face, over his eyes, and into his mouth. The fear wracked his entire body. He shook down to his toes.

There was water everywhere, but there was also blood.

It was the dream bleeding into reality.

He shook it away.

He closed his eyes and rubbed them with his knuckles. The inside of his mouth was dry. He tried to swallow, but it was dry as sand. When he opened his eyes a few seconds later, the water was clear. Besides the suds floating on top, there was nothing in the water but himself.

He wiggled his toes just to make sure he was in control of his body.

The water had run cold.

His heart skipped.

He pulled himself from the tub and frantically wrapped a towel around his entire body.

His thoughts were a maze of what he'd seen in the dream and what he couldn't get out of his head.

The time. What was the time.

He went to the foot of his bed and lifted up the cracked white clock sitting on the chest. He felt his heart drop into his stomach.

He sat the clock down. His fingers were shaking as he sat on the edge of his bed.

He'd been in the bath for over an hour. What felt like minutes had been a complete hour. But also, it had felt like he'd been trapped in the dream for days.

He stood up and slowly walked toward the window. The towel around him was as cold as the bath water. It was heavy from the water droplets. He tightened his grip on it.

The window looked out into the opening mouth of the forest. The trees were similar though only slightly different.

He pressed his free hand to the cold glass. His knuckles knocked against the window pane. The cold didn't feel real enough to register. It's then that he pressed his face against the glass. He wanted to feel the cold along his entire body. He closed his eyes to get lost in the feeling.

Her face was there, looking back at him.

His body went rigid, but he didn't open his eyes. He wanted to scream, to turn around, to run until he was lost in the forest. He didn't know why when a girl had just been murdered there.

His entire body wanted it. The buzzing wanted it.

His teeth chattered and his arms shook. Right down to his toes, he wanted to get out of this place.

He thought of Mantel.

He opened his eyes. The forest hadn't changed.

There was a feeling that there was more to the dead girl. It didn't make sense that she would be in the middle of the forest. It didn't make sense that she would be attacked by a vampire so far away.