12

Sienna yelled out in anger as Nikola's soldiers pulled out their swords, and Goktug tossed her to Osman who pushed his dagger against her throat, pulling her arm behind her. Goktug and Boran kicked back the two soldiers who started for them and pointed their daggers at the rest as they backed up their Bey. Nikola shot up at the scene but could do nothing as Sienna's life was in danger.

"Ertugrul Gazi's son, Osman... never leaves his sword, and I never leave my brothers behind," Osman declared bravely. Nikola clenched his jaw while Sienna struggled to break free of Osman's grip. "Now... set all the captives free. Or else, I will cut your loyal, right-hand commander's throat here."

Sienna tried shaking Osman off, but it was no use. She watched Nikola and shook her head, knowing he was about to accept. "Don't you dare, Nikola! Don't!" she yelled out, warningly, a lump forming in her throat. Nikola could not give in to Osman so easily. It went against everything they stood for. Rome. Their cause. Their promise. She shook her head frantically as he slowly stepped down the steps.

"Use your head, Osman," Nikola calmly advised. "Do you think you can leave this castle?"

"I will leave like a wolf leaves the nest of the sheep," Osman smiled. Sienna grunted and tried reaching for her dagger when Goktug pulled out her weapons from their sheaths. She groaned in frustration and struggled harder. Osman tightened his grip and continued, "Now... send the captives to the gate... or say goodbye to Sienna."

Goktug waved her sword at the soldiers, ignoring the slight feeling of not wanting Sienna to die. "Don't get close, you infidels!

"Step back, dogs!" Boran shouted, pointing his dagger at them threateningly.

Nikola clenched his fist, debating on what to do. He couldn't let Osman win like this. He couldn't let him leave this castle with the captives, leave with what he came here for. But he couldn't lose Sienna either. She was too valuable and a worthy asset. Sienna was his friend from childhood; it would go against everything he stood for if he let her die, even if she was fine with it. He needed her for future missions.

"It is the promise of Ertugrul Gazi's son, Osman: I will set Sienna free if you let us go."

"I'm not your captive, dog!" Sienna spat as she tried elbowing Osman away, but he pushed the dagger harder on her throat, and she stopped, shaking her head at Nikola as she dreaded his answer.

"Do as he says," Nikola finally gave in, understanding that Sienna was too valuable, too precious to be spent away with like this.

Sienna squeezed her eyes shut and let out a shaky breath as she stared at him with a pleading expression. "Hayir, Nikola! HAYIR! Hayir!" Goktug glanced at her and smirked until he noticed her teary eyes and the begging in her voice as she yelled out in refusal. He almost pitied her.

"Set the captives free," Nikola ordered.

"Nikola!" Sienna called, making him stare at her. "Hayir! Hayir, Nikola! Don't do it! Not for me! You can't lose! You can't-" Osman pushed the dagger to her neck to quiet her and started backing out of the room as Nikola gave her an apologetic look. Goktug distracted himself by waving Sienna's sword at the soldiers as he and Boran slowly backed out of the room as well.

It's over, Sienna thought, squeezing her eyes shut. It's over. The cause is destroyed. Rome is destroyed. We lost, and the filthy back-stabbing Turks won. It was time for her to be finished now too. She looked up at Osman, meeting his chocolate brown eyes. "Don't you dare let me go without killing me, Osman! Don't!"

Osman just smirked, and Sienna struggled against him hopelessly as she was dragged through the corridors. The door of one of the rooms in the hall was slightly open, and Sienna's heart started thumping furiously when she saw a pair of vibrant green eyes peeking out. She shook her head frantically, hoping it would give Derya the message to stay inside. Sienna could see the tears welling up in her eyes, and she felt a pang of guilt. "It's okay," she whispered, wishing Derya would close the door before Osman passed it and saw her. "It's going to be alright."