11. injury

Fifteen minutes later, they arrived before the towering Strasbourg Cathedral to admire its intricate façade, enormous rose window and soaring octagon bell tower. To bypass swarms of summer people and tourists, Mayu led Tezuka away from the central plaza and ducked through narrow alleyways tucked between half-timbered houses. Several winding turns later, they arrived before a two-story house with pastel-coloured walls. The front of the restaurant held a large wooden plank with its name tattooed across in gold, gothic letter.

"This place serves the best choucroute in town," gushed Mayu when they were seated for the patio table. A navy sun umbrella had been set up to block the midday heat. "I've been here once on a recommendation. Choucroute garnie is French for 'dressed sauerkraut' and is this ridiculously simple, peasant dish of fermented cabbage, potatoes and salted sausage that got passed down. Rumour has it that these family owners have been using the same bacterial culture for fermentation since the 19th century—"

Clamping her mouth shut, she grimaced, "Maybe that wasn't the best pitch. Being a food critic is clearly not a career option for me."

Tezuka smiled at her enthusiasm. "You're teaching me something new. It also gives me reassurance to see you so happy here."

Gazing out at the sparkling canal and pedestrians, Mayu sighed blissfully, "That you're right. I'm unbelievably happy here." Returning her eyes to him, she asked, "What about you? What brings you here?"

Before he could answer, the waiter brought over two heaping plates of food. Laid out before them were mounds of sauerkraut, smoked sausages, golden potatoes and an assortment of mustards.

When they were left alone again, Tezuka motioned to his plate and said, "I came here for this... choucroute, is it?"

Mayu laughed. "When you tell a joke, you should avoid making it sound like a question. Try again."

"We should eat first," suggested Tezuka. "Looks like this might take a while and I don't want you to run out of time."

"Good point."

While they sliced up the meat and dipped it into tiny jars of mustards, Mayu couldn't help but ask, "In all seriousness, is this what you had in mind when you said we'd meet again? Did you know you were going to come to Europe all along?"

"Yes and no." After a few bites of food, he explained, "A number of German universities have extended their offers to me. I've seriously considered studying abroad as well."

"I see. You've come to check out their campuses?"

"No," he said. "I've come here to recover."

Stunned, Mayu set down her fork. "Recover? From what?"

"An old injury. One that I've been neglecting for years and it finally caught up to me." Briefly, Tezuka described to her his recent game against a long-time rival school, Hyotei Academy, and his left shoulder breaking down in the heat of the competition.

"I tried and I lost. It's proof that we can never ignore our bodies and then expect them to continue serving us. It was foolish of me to think I could outsmart biology."

Eyes trained on his left arm, Mayu asked, "How did you get this hurt in the first place?"

His eyes returned to his plate and his expressions grew sullen. "It's a strange story. I don't think you'd enjoy hearing it on such a beautiful day."

"It's not a matter of enjoyment," she retorted. "I want to hear it because it's your story. Plus, you never tell me anything about yourself."

Tezuka went on eating in silence for a few moments before he said, "I haven't willingly told anyone what happened."

"That's ok." Resting both elbows on the table, she rested her chin in her hands and beamed, "I'd gladly be the first."