20. fiancée

When Mayu entered the tennis association's main lobby on a sunny Monday, she immediately noticed a series of signs in French. Curious, she followed the arrows down the hall until reaching the primary gymnasium. A makeshift reception counter had been set up with name tags and gift bags. Behind it stood two women, the older wearing a sharp bob cut, the younger with her hair in a braid, and both seemed flustered with a group of blue-eyed visitors.

At a closer distance, she heard the visitors speak accented English while the two women responded in fragmented sentences. Eyes zooming in on the miniature flags of France pinned to the visitors' bags, Mayu decided to step in.

"Pardon me, but it looks like you need help?" she asked in French.

Conversations came to a halt and everyone seemed slightly taken aback. The lead speaker, however, let out a hearty laugh signature of southern France. His skin was deeply tanned and his hair was ash blonde from frequent sun exposure.

"Thank God! It's impossible to ask for help around here!" To Mayu, he explained, "Our team is looking for a Mr. Yanagi? We're scheduled for a mock match, but it looks like our partners are late."

"Yanagi..." Recalling her conversations with Tezuka, Mayu knew that Mr. Yanagi was on the board of executive directors who oversaw the High Performance and Event Operations departments. She scrutinized the man before him, suddenly matching his face to the files Tezuka had recently shown her. 

"Are you Gérald Simon, one of the top three contenders of this year's French Open?" she asked.

His eyes lit up. "Are you a tennis player as well?"

"No, I just hear a lot about it, and your name's hard to miss," quipped Mayu.

"Aw, now you're trying to charm me."

"In any case, Mr. Simon, you're supposed to be in Hall 3."

"Where is this?"

"The Grand Hall. This is where the association holds national and Olympics tryouts."

Gérald threw his hands up. "I don't understand, how could we be so misdirected?!"

Eyes falling on the signs, Mayu suddenly pieced everything together. "There are typos on the signs. I believe they mixed up left and right in French."

After scanning their surroundings, Gérald let out a guffaw. "I guess they don't have a French speaker on their organizing committee!"

"Guess not."

"Will you help us sort it out?" he asked. "And please tell me you speak Japanese, too."

"You're in luck," she said with a wink. Turning to the paralyzed receptionists, she quickly explained the situation and asked for them to fetch an appropriate representative to escort the French visitors. Without delay, the older woman sprung out from behind the counter and skittered off. The young woman with braids stayed behind and thanked Mayu profusely.

To help pass the wait, Mayu chatted with Gérald and his team. Within minutes, a flock of men in suits, including Director Yanagi, his secretary and an interpreter arrived with the older woman.

"I am so sorry for the misunderstanding!" said Mr. Yanagi through his interpreter. "We sincerely apologize for wasting your limited time, Mr. Simon."

"No need to apologize!" answered Gérald with a booming laugh. He motioned to Mayu with a wide grin. "I've been in excellent company!"

Director Yanagi looked at Mayu inquisitively. "I'm sorry, you are...?"

Before she could respond, a familiar figure popped out of the huddle. "Mayu?"

"Mr. Tezuka!" cried Gérald in English, stepping forward to shake his hands. "I haven't seen you since the last French Open! What a pleasure to see you here again!"

"Yes, it's generous of you to come."

"Let's play a game when you're free. I'm hoping to see that wicked drop of yours again!" To Mayu, he chuckled and said in French, "And hopefully, in a place with correct signs."

"We can hope," smiled Mayu.

Turning his attention back to Tezuka, he motioned towards Mayu and asked, "So you know her as well?"

Clearing his throat, Tezuka said, "She's my fiancée."

This single word seemed to have caught everybody's attention, including the executive director. Oblivious to their consternation, Gérald nodded approvingly, "Why hadn't I thought of that? Of course someone as witty and smart as her would be yours!"

Looking over to Mayu, Tezuka revealed the tiniest hint of a smile. "No, I'm the lucky man."

Patting Mayu on the shoulder, Gérald said, "Thank you for your help." To the interpreter, he said, "Tell your director to hire her, and if he doesn't, he's a fool." With that, he walked ahead with the rest of his team.

The assembly followed suit. Lingering at the tail of the group, Tezuka said to Mayu. "Thank you for saving us."

"It's the least I can do for you."

"I'm sorry, but I'll have to be fifteen minutes more."

"Go ahead," Mayu waved him on. "I'll wait in the lobby."

After Tezuka left, Mayu listened to their footsteps recede and released a breath she didn't know she held. A smile spread across her lips and suddenly she was grinning like an idiot, feeling alive for the first time in months.

***

a/n: I promise Ryoma's showing up in the coming chapter- along with everybody's "favorite", Sakuno - it will be spectacular ;)