31. getaway

Tezuka thought it was for the best for them to take some time off. He suspected that their nonstop work in Tokyo was hurting their relationship. 

That night, they booked a long stay in Kinosaki, a hot spring town on the less populated west coast of the Japanese main island. They took the early train the next day and made a transfer in Kyoto. 

A few hours later, they arrived at the four-street town sitting at the inlet of the Japan Sea. Untouched by time, here neighbours and business knew and greeted each other, cellular connection was nonexistent, and in the heat of August, men and women strolled around in summer kimonos and old-fashioned wooden sandals. They stayed in a traditional inn at the far edge of town. The front was guarded by heavy wood gates and the back was fenced off with overgrown hedges.

The window of their room faced the well-cared-for back garden. In the distance were vague shapes of Kaminabe mountain ranges disappearing in and out of summer clouds. Occasionally chirps of songbirds would arrive with unexpected melodies, otherwise there was perfect silence.

In the afternoon, Tezuka and Mayu hiked nearby trails. When they returned, they soaked in the in-house bath and then changed into linen kimonos. Dinner was a generous spread of dishes made from freshly caught fish and mountain vegetables, laid out in leaf- or flower-shaped ceramics. At night, they made love to the moonlight and fell asleep in each other's arms. There was no discussion of work or of the future—their minds were only on each other.

It occurred to Mayu that their getaway was just like their carefree beginning in Baden-Baden. Sometimes she'd walk down the cobblestone streets of this ancient town and be flooded with torrents of memories of when they were eighteen, so proximate that she could smell the pine in the air.

"I'm glad we took this time for ourselves," remarked Tezuka on their last night in town. They were sitting on the veranda gazing at the summer stars. "You seem more relaxed. More yourself."

"I wasn't myself before?" she asked jokingly.

"With what happened the night of the celebratory dinner, I got worried. It was so out of character: you never throw temper tantrums."

"I guess I was a little worked up," she said with a sigh. "Sorry."

"If there's anything I did that upset you, tell me. It's unhealthy to bottle it up."

Mayu shook her head. She reached out and patted his hand. "You're a perfect fiancé. Really."

"Is there anything else bothering you?" he asked warily. "Work, maybe?"

Mayu picked at a broken thread on her kimono but said nothing. They gazed out at the moonlit garden for some time. The air was humid, redolent of brine and the sea. Over intermittent twittering of crickets, Tezuka said, "Would you consider keeping only one job?"

She looked at him.

"I never thought it was a good idea for you to be split between the academy and the association. Neither position is leisurely and working six to seven days a week isn't a balanced life. I know firsthand, but at least I'm not in two places at once." Turning towards her, he said, "I kept quiet because I didn't want to intervene with your decision. I see now that this overwork may be taking a toll on you."

"It's not," she tried to deny.

"Is one job not enough for you?"

"Neither job is good enough."

"What exactly are you aiming for?"

"Equal or higher position than the one I held at the Parliament."

"I think it's plenty clear from this tryout that you'll attain it in due time."

"But it hasn't happened yet. My work isn't done."

"At this rate, you'll burn out and hurt yourself before you get what you want," said Tezuka with a hint of exasperation. "You're playing the long game, Mayu, not a burst of power game."

"Does it really have to be a tennis analogy?"

"I'm serious."

She sighed. "You're right. This isn't sustainable and I'm being short-sighted. What do you suggest I do?"

"I suggest you quit the job at Aomachi. Your expertise is more suited for the association and you add a fresh perspective. This is the more worthwhile path." Taking her hand, he pulled her into him, "I don't want to inundate you with work talk when we've come here to avoid it. You don't have to decide now. Just give it some thought after we return."

Leaning against him, she nodded against the star-sprinkled skies. Surely the association was the right choice, but that would make avoiding the man she tried not to think about that much harder.

***

When they got back to Tokyo, there was an email waiting in Mayu's inbox. Marked with high importance, it was from Director Yanagi, announcing to Mayu that August to mid-September was the off-season for sporting events. He informed her that the association would not need her at this time but would be happy to welcome her back in October. This same month also being summer vacation for Aomachi students, Mayu was suddenly out of a job.

"I think this is perfect timing," remarked Tezuka. "You could use this break to rest, to see and enjoy this city."

"And what will you do?"

"I have to develop a training plan for the new national team—"

"So you'll be working harder than before." Scrunching up her nose at the email, Mayu said, "I don't want a pause, either. I don't want to break this momentum."

"Mayu..."

But she had already tuned him out. "I should email Minister Yazawa while the tryout is still on his mind. Maybe he'll have a position for me."

Fate seemed to be against her will. A few days later, the Minister's assistant informed Mayu that there was no position open for someone of her expertise at this time. Perhaps she could wait until the fall to try again.