6: Medicine and Blood

Lailah DK

We had spent over four hours in the office. It was a very long and suffocating day, I felt like sleeping. The occurrence of last night was a dreadful one, I thought the nightmares were over. It's been over 12 years since the incident and it still feels like it happened yesterday. I could see his face and the blood all over his shirt. Oh my Allah, I dread that day so much. I never want to see it again but it keeps coming back to me like a child looking for its mother. I'm scared, very scared of remembering that day. A day that ruined my life and that of my family.

"DK he is coming" Jabar alerted me and I immediately sat right. I was laying my head on the open windows enjoying the breeze. I didn't follow him into the office today, my body was sore from fear. My heart was beating tremendously in my chest at the remembrance of his face, the man with the blood on his shirt.

The prince sat in the car and ordered Jabar to take him to the hospital. Was he sick? But he didn't look sick at all. He looked happy and healthy. Jabar did as told and drove at an average speed. I didn't want to hear the sound of the moving vehicle, so I put on my ear pods and began listening to surat Maryam. Which was the name of my mother. The thought of her also made me shriek, my heart began beating tremendously in my chest and I closed my eyes. the tears were already stinging my eyes and I felt like I would not be able to control myself. I tried my best and Thanks to Allah, I was able to hide my tears.

"DK" I heard Jabars voice.

"Yes?" I paused the recitation."He is going inside, won't you follow him?" Jabar asked.

"He doesn't want me around him" I lied. I was scared of falling down or even crying around him.

"DK you know, this was the place where his elder brother was murdered. His father had forbidden him from coming here, but he is stubborn and doesn't listen" Jabar said.

"Wow, his brother was murdered here?" I asked.

"Yes, And it was supposed to be him and not his brother. Someone is after his life and will not rest until he is dead" Jabar said. I nodded softly at him And came out of the car. I began running slowly into the building and I soon caught up with him.

"What do you want?" He said very coldly and I inhaled deeply.

"I'm guarding you," I said. He looked at me for a minute and rolled his eyes harshly. We walked together into an elevator and I made sure to maintain my distance from him as I stood in front of him.

After some couple of minutes, the elevator doors opened and I walked out and then him. He didn't say a word and I followed behind him until we got to a halt. He knocked on the door on which the name 'operation theater' was written boldly on it. "Thank God you are here doctor," A man with a white coat said, I bet he was a doctor. What surprised me was the fact that they referred to the prince as a doctor. So he is a doctor, amazing. I thought. And we share the same profession, I am a surgeon as well, I studied medicine in the Nigeria Defense Academy which made me a soldier as well. I remember vividly the first time we went to war in the Sambisa forest and I was made the commander of the recruit soldiers, I was shot in my arm and I had to take the bullet out of my body with my very fingers. It was very painful but I bared it. Many soldiers were injured and I still treated them with that same injured arm of mine. It was a dreadful experience.

He walked into the opened door and I intended to follow him when the man stopped me. "You can't be in here, doctors only. It's an operation" The man said extremely harshly.

"I'm his Bodyguard," I said. I didn't want to tell him I was a doctor as well.

"It doesn't matter, stay out here" he intended to close the door when I immediately pulled out my pistol (Gun). I pointed it at him and I could see fear vividly on his face.

"I can shoot you now and I won't be arrested because you are standing in the way of my job. Don't try me" I said very calmly and he paved way for me to pass. I put back my pistol in my jacket and made my way into the operation theater. I got dressed in blue garments and wore a mask and two pairs of gloves. And of course, the prince stared at me very coldly. I averted my gaze from him to the little boy who was laying on the bed. He looked almost like my brother, Salim's age. He looked twelve or eleven. He was sleeping probably because of the sedative which was injected into him. I looked over to the nurse who had given me the blue garment to wear.

"What happened to the child?" I asked calmly.

"He has a heart problem. He is about to have a heart transplant" He said. I felt pain in my heart upon hearing this, this innocent child. I silently made dua (prayers) for him while he was being injected again. The doctor took another sedative and was about to inject him when I spoke.

"No, that's enough sedative" I found myself saying. One more sedative and they could lose him even before the surgery begins. His weak heart was still in him and he is already weak so the sedative might kill him.

"Doctor Haider This bodyguard of yours is distracting us. Please make her leave here at once" The rude man said and I shot him a very deadly glare that scared the other doctors around him.

"DK leave here at once, no one is going to harm me in here," He said.

"Your highness if you keep giving him sedative then he could lose his life. His weak heart is still in him and it could stop his heartbeat" I tried to explain.

"Uhmm Doctor Haider, she's right. His heartbeat keeps slowing down per the injections we inject in him"
A female doctor said. Haider looked at the boy and nodded.

"How do you know this?" He asked.

"I studied medicine in the NDA" I declared and he looked at me aghast.

"Do you care to help us perform this operation please?" Another female doctor asked and I nodded. I didn't know why but all I wanted was to save this boy's life, and I will Insha Allah. The first thing I did was to put on surat ul Rahman on my phone and then we began to operate on the little boy.

An hour into the operation and the prince said "We are gonna lose him" The voice of the prince held so much fear. His breath became abnormal and he dropped the blades and turned around.

"Your highness nothing is going to happen, Trust me," I said very calmly. I could hear him take a very deep breath before turning around once more.

"Okay let's do this" he breathed in and out and then smiled.